- 08:23 Easy 8-mile run this morning to San Carlos airport and back. Feeling good
- 20:06 Made a yummy dinner of steamed mussels, filet mignon with a sherry reduction, sauteed spinach and glazed carrots. A nice Tempranillo, too
Sunday, January 31, 2010
Saturday, January 30, 2010
- 10:01 RT @AmiDar In 48 hours about 1800 people have given $55000. We'll put up a goal and real-time totals later today Support idealist.org
- 10:22 .@danzarrella I like Twitter as back channel with 2 ground rules: 1) the speakers know it's there and 2) the Twitter stream is not projected
- 10:51 Love that the "friend drinks free" coupon from #Peets isn't paper-bound: just show them the coupon on your mobile. nice @Peets_Tweets
- 10:58 Nice HBR blog post examining the gigglefest surrounding the iPad name this week bit.ly/95c5k2
- 12:03 yay! Articles of Organization are conformed! next up: DBA and Business License applications... moving the ball forward :)
- 12:11 @amoration: thanks! congrats to you , too. Sorry I missed you while you were in SF this week. meet up next time?
- 12:29 I would never have guessed the Aussies spent the most time on social networking sites (USA is 4th) bit.ly/91cRqQ
- 12:33 @pierre if you need yourself a chicken wrangler, lemme know so I can pack my bags
- 13:01 RT @brainpicker The Long Nose of Innovation – Microsoft Research principal scientist reinterprets @chr1sa's Long Tail is.gd/7ie41
- 16:24 RT @OHHDLInfo QOTD: "Whoever excludes others will find himself excluded in turn." ~His Holiness, the Dalai Lama
Friday, January 29, 2010
- 10:00 Nike's new GreenXchange looks to be a really interesting sustainability marketplace for innovation. bit.ly/drDmaG
- 10:20 Surprised to see which of these CareerBuilder TV spots was considered "too hot for tv" (your vote?) bit.ly/5GiYAU?
- 11:32 #FAIL: @MensHealthMag web site is infuriating: they trap great content in a horrid page-view-driven UI. bit.ly/g3POj
- 15:20 If "what does not kill me only makes me stronger" is true, you'll be able to call me Hercules by year's end
- 15:41 @KevinStark Job Fairy was my favorite, too!
- 16:41 @dallant thanks for the business name tips; the domains have been claimed!
- 17:15 I <3 watching cops pull over carpool cheats
- 22:26 Great meeting tonight of all the captains in the SCVDA #dart league. Spring season starts next week!
- 22:27 @ryankanno ain't it great?!
- 23:01 RT @davos The #DavosSocial panel with @loic @ev @quixotic @gcolony @ginab @randizuckerberg @grove is on YouTube tr.im/LYpu
Thursday, January 28, 2010
- 00:37 Sounds like @dtapscott is giving a Clifs Notes version of his book Wikinomics at #davossocial
- 00:43 nice that @ev doing his Davos panel in jeans and tennis shoes. Too bad @unitedairlines baggage delay forced him to be so casual #davossocial
- 00:46 3 Qs discussing at #davossocial panel: are social networks changing society? what are the risks? what should we do to leverage them?
- 00:49 amend #3Q at #davossocial: what should we do to improve social netowrks' impact? (thanks @loic for streaming the session)
- 00:49 @chep2m am only there thanks to @loic's streaming (how I wish I was in SUI right now)
- 00:51 for an in-the-room accounting of #davossocial, follow tweets of @jobsworth
- 01:19 RT @jobsworth @Arrington: this (flawed) perception that journalism b4 the Net was pristine, truthful. How did th ey pull it off? #davossocial
- 13:27 RT @JPBarlow: Panopticlick: EFF's tool for telling you how unique your browser profile is bit.ly/9WT5Aa
- 16:21 RT @msmithDC if Idealist.org has ever helped you, they now need your help. Please read, give and RT bit.ly/9phxne
- 16:39 LOL! RT @iad2la national femcare awareness day turned out well, I think
- 21:17 made roast winter vegetables for dinner: yam, butternut, parsnip, turnip. ah, delicious!
- 21:54 @sesamebuns congratulations!
- 22:07 Has Facebook affected the limits of Dunbar's number? Nope, we can still only track 150 people bit.ly/8CMCUa
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
- 10:00 Liking the new mobile interface for Twitter
- 11:18 I've crossed the "lost 40 pounds" threshold (from my peak 222lbs in 2007). This low-sugar (<15g/day) diet is really working
- 11:20 @NurtureGirl Hey you! So wonderful to see so many great things happening in your life! What a great example of thrivability you are.
- 11:21 @smallbiztlc Thanks, Erika. It feels great :)
- 11:42 @sesamebuns fingers crossed for you. hope you get the job
- 13:04 NPR story shows the amazing the lengths ("but research proves it!") we'll go to rationalize eating junk bit.ly/d7vMXC
- 13:41 @garykebbel Good luck, Gary!
15:34 geeking out with Ruby, MySql, unfuddle and git. just love posing as a developer
- 00:11 I'd love to know why my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.6.2) keeps cycling between 5GB free on my hard drive and 100MB free. so %(&! annoying
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
- 00:30 (and in a user-friendly layout too!) RT @Gennefer Stunning. --> Top 100 travel photos by the @LATimes: bit.ly/LATravel
- 09:16 my contribution to the Apple Tablet wishlist fray: wouldn't it be great if the back was one big solar panel?
- 11:16 @dweinberger Congratulations! a very much deserved honor.
- 12:01 Great post in the Economist about scale of problems ahead: Can we make the cognitive leap to become global citizens? bit.ly/4WGNFc
- 12:17 RT @womenwotw "If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader" John Quincy Adams #quote
- 14:21 Should you form an LLC or an S-Corp? Here's some illustrative lawyerly advice: bit.ly/6qLLj8
- 16:16 RT @rossdawson Irish Startup Raises $230,000 Using Only LinkedIn bit.ly/5pTN3z
- 17:35 LOL same can be said for GTalk video! RT @EthanZ Skype video makes giving talking head ever so much less painless... :-)
- 23:17 Developed a taste for seaweed snacks while in Thailand. Now munching on nico-nico nori here in the States. delicious!
Monday, January 25, 2010
- 12:02 don't know who was happier to be at dog park this morning during the break in the rains: the dogs or the owners (Kairos & I were psyched)
- 13:58 RT @zoecello: 'All Is Love' by @curtsmith (featuring me on cello) is Amazon's Free Download of the Day ... bit.ly/5W9NYY
- 17:49 The Art of Aligning Social Media Strategy With Communications Strategy is.gd/4IYcN via @PowerfulHER @Kanter
- 20:45 Test shows which input method's fastest: Pen v keyboard v Treo v iPhone v other bit.ly/5TgPJ9 via @kottke
- 21:39 @melissagira @meaghano Glad to help you get over the hump. It was really all those who went before that need thanking!
- 22:22 @sesamebuns no pressure at all. you'll crush it! (good luck anyway)
- 00:20 Nice to read over someone else's notes from listening in on a briefing I led. I seem to have gotten all my points across clearly!
Sunday, January 24, 2010
- 09:05 Overcome Resistance With the Right Questions - The Conversation - Harvard Business Review: bit.ly/4tSdue via @addthis
- 11:26 love that Feb10 issue of Sunset magazine has the recipe for Delfina's broccoli rabe pizza (p 67). Yum!
- 19:17 So bummed @eddieizzard is in the Bay Area tonight and I don't have tix to see him
Saturday, January 23, 2010
- 12:03 RT @stereogab Sunlight is hiring! Come join our fabulous team transparencyjobs.com/jobs/106/
- 12:59 @stereogab will RT you anytime, and glad you liked the Thai tweets (highly recommend a trip there if you've never been)
- 13:03 The skeptic will always find a reason not to believe bit.ly/92SLqI
- 14:30 @billjohnston happy birthday, Bill. I hope this coming year is your best yet
- 14:50 Tonight's Conan finale is not to be missed. Love the sketch w Bugatti Veyron mouse (3rd clip down) bit.ly/7jGmx5
- 15:30 Wincing as I watch someone's hijacked Twitter acct broadcast his DMs. Is a real lesson in being careful with your login info.
- 20:37 em> Made Thai food tonight to show I learned well last week in Chiang Mai. Yummy Tom Yam soup and chicken with cashews.
Friday, January 22, 2010
- 10:27 Excited to see @omlet enter into the social media scene. I've been a longtime fan (and customer) on the @urbanchickens scene
- 10:39 RT @gwynnek Job Opening: Director New Media & Web Comms at US Dept of Homeland Security, see USAJOBS link: bit.ly/8CSJX3
- 10:42 although there's plenty of rain falling on it now, I'm excited about life in general and the future in particular.
Thursday, January 21, 2010
- 05:46 Great blog post from @awsamuel re: risk/reward of social media (risk aversion often leads to failure) bit.ly/8zrJii
- 06:12 Manage knowledge mostly by connecting people. Brains are just so much better than databases. bit.ly/8GBKwY
- 07:26 HBR blogs are full of good stuff today! "How to Handle Silence, the Worst Kind of Feedback" bit.ly/6aOsWA
- 09:59 Am going to get my 200,000th page view on the blog sometime in the next hour. Thanks for all the visits! bit.ly/8Tq9Eq
- 12:02 getting ready to head into SF for the afternoon. Hoping the rain stays away and the parking is plentiful!
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
- 03:17 RT @TheEliteNinjas: Any time is a good time to do the right thing #quote #mlk
- 04:52 one benefit to severe jet lag: hours of uninterrupted work time all through the dead of night! (daytime naps, on the other hand...)
- 05:51 Great post about privacy and Facebook's recent changes to it (guess who can now see all your FB photos?) bit.ly/6EsmrH
- 06:12 with the Internet, knowledge can be supplied externally, but focus must be forced internally. bit.ly/68ESz2
- 11:59 it's a great day when you hear a client wants to renew your contract.
- 19:16 Both my girls are sick. My immune system is weak from the travel/jet lag. I think I know where this is headed. ugh
- 19:27 RT @RichHarwood: Now Obama will have to return to his new politics that seeks to build a new base that cuts ac ross Blue & Red.
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Monday, January 18, 2010
- 02:41 layover in BKK. Got my last Thai foot massage (for a while) and charging the batteries for the 15 hour flight to LAX. SFO by midnight!
- 17:59 Landed 90 min early at LAX thx to 200 mph tailwind) still 6 hrs from SFO tho
- 19:03 happy that Customs at LAX was a breeze. On standby for an earlier flight home and hoping my luck holds.
- 19:44 My luck held. On the earlier flight home, shaving 3 hours off my travel day. w00t!
Sunday, January 17, 2010
- 01:23 same same
- 02:55 watching the sun set on a great day in Thailand. Tribal village, elephant ride, bamboo raft trip. Now to dinner and the night market!
- 17:33 Last morning in Thailand. I've had a wonderful time here. Touring wats in Chiang Mai this AM, then I begin the 23 hour trip home.
Saturday, January 16, 2010
- 01:51 cooking school in Chiang Mai was fantastic. I got to cook 8 dishes, and best of all: I now know the secret to creating Thai flavors. FTW!
- 15:52 the sun's coming up on my last full day in Thailand. Going to make the most of it in the hills outside Chiang Mai
Friday, January 15, 2010
- 03:05 very good advice: RT @Twitter_Tips Crucial to know: How to use Twitter to report breaking news: j.mp/5RUUc5
- 07:36 RT @EthanZ Verisign iDefense reports unambiguous evidence that Chinese gov't or a gov't proxy behind attacks on Google: is.gd/6fYL4
- 13:51 Day 5 in Thailand: And now for something completely different! Flying up to Chiang Mai soon to go to thai cooking school
- 14:07 @ChiangMai12 Thanks! Look forward to exploring the city this weekend.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
- 08:04 had mangosteen and snake fruit for the first time tonight. I'll eat the former again, but not the latter.
- 14:30 Awake to my last day in Bangkok. Starting things with a nice run around town before heading into the office.
- 16:40 back from a 9km run around Lumphini Park. Didn't see any monitor lizards like I'd hoped. Lots of Tai Chi and Jazzercise! folks tho
- 20:22 RT @stevebruskCNN: To end rumor: American Airlines only flying 3 humanitarian flts to Haiti... not flying doctors and nurses at this time.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
- 02:22 getting ready to shut down the laptop, put on my Five Fingers KSOs and go on a run around downtown Bangkok #vff
- 05:24 5 mile run around Bangkok and 1/2 mile swim in the hotel's lap pool. I'm ready for some satay and pad thai!
- 15:01 Great to see yet another of my Creative Commons-licensed Flickr pix put to use for a good cause. bit.ly/8JGJDT
- 16:05 RT @stereogab poor Haiti. Checking out quakespotter.org to see the damages, related news, tweets & more
- 17:02 Great advice from HBR on managing the long silence of an unanswered follow-up email or call. bit.ly/7vHEnr
- 21:11 RT @Katrinskaya: Give through your phone - text "HAITI" to "90999" to give $10 directly to the Red Cross #haiti
- 21:15 amazing before/ after pix of Haiti Pres Palace bldg: twitpic.com/xvu8z (via @CapoDaBoss) via picfog.com/s/Haiti
- 22:48 Best Haiti-related twitter list I've encountered is via @nprnews twitter.com/nprnews/haiti-earthquake
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
- 02:38 Wow, that was fast. Time to call it a day (in the office) and go shop the Bangkok night market! Then working more from the hotel tonight
- 06:49 great to hang out at the Thai version of a biergarten by the Night Market. Didn't do much to prop up the economy tho
- 16:39 so starts day 3 in BKK: giving up on Nescafe, switching to tea instead. Do love my room's Electrolux water boiler thingy.
- 16:48 wish I'd known this sooner: trying to Google from somewhere you can't read the native language (Thailand)? just add "/en" after google.com
- 17:52 Headed into the BKK office. Will pick up breakfast from one of the street carts on the way. Yum!
- 22:42 green gai curry and stir-fried morning glory for lunch. delicious!
Monday, January 11, 2010
- 06:15 @gaylemaree I don't envy you... safe journeys!
- 06:27 ok, I made it to the end of Sunday without cheating with a nap. good night!
- 13:49 Up and at 'em for Day 2 in Bangkok. Will be my first day in the client's office, and the schedule's packed.
- 14:05 @ncjack congrats on beating your 13.1 goal! That's awesome
- 14:10 RT @socialcitizen Philanthropy the New Marketing? "Mad Men days of advertisers telling us what 2 think/buy r long gone" bit.ly/6IqeZ1
- 14:40 Nescafe is an acquired taste, I'm sure. At least I think it will be. Is there a Peet's in Bangkok? Please?
- 15:03 @dallant yeah, there's SBUX all over the place here in BKK. Would rather have my Peets house blend, th anks :)
- 17:08 To say I hate "Verified by Visa" right now is a gross understatement. customer service #FAIL
- 17:12 off to play in BKK rush hour traffic
Sunday, January 10, 2010
- 16:29 as of 7:30am, after my longest night ever on an airplane, I've made it to my hotel in Bangkok. Let the wild struggle to stay awake begin!
- 16:34 @neddotcom Thanks Mark! Am going for a quick run first, then I'll shower and fill my belly with the spicy stuff.
- 16:59 holy cow! RT @USGS_EQ_25 PRELIM: M6.1 00:27 1/10 40.7N 124.7W 35 km WNW of Ferndale, CA
- 18:06 hot 5km run around Benchakitti park, then to 7-11 for 2L of water, bag of peanuts and a seaweed snack, all for $1.75 = cheap fun!
- 19:04 @ncjack good luck in the race, Nina!
Saturday, January 09, 2010
- 00:32 Bummed we lost the playoff round 9-6. Was a good match tho and proud of our season.
- 06:23 So much to do before heading to the airport at 4pm. Turning social media off for the day.
- 17:38 On board UA 145 to LAX had tobgate check bag. Grr. Gotta claim it and then re-enter LAX TSA to get to BKK. Ok? ;-)
- 19:02 Weirdly bumpy flight into LAX. Had to focus on making it to the landing strip in one piece
- 20:12 made it to the lounge. now all I need do is relax until boarding. thanks for the well-wishes and I'll be back at you from BKK in 19hrs
Friday, January 08, 2010
- 05:10 "Any fool can carry on, but only the wise man knows how to shorten sail." - Joseph Conrad #quote
- 05:22 Entering Day 7 of my new sugar-free diet. Is hard changing eating habits, but can't argue with the fat melting away already.
- 09:57 RT @megpickard: Last chance for a clueful marketing person to apply for social media post at National Maritime Museum: bit.ly/6AFqQB
- 10:57 Heads up: if you follow @USGS_EQ_25 (like I do) you'll know about any/all earthquakes over 2.5 magnitude around the globe
- 11:07 @PamO yep, Milpitas was the latest (tho we didn't feel it here at the house, just a mile from ON HQ). Glad to be sited on bedrock.
- 13:55 RT @HarvardBiz Maybe You're the Reason Your Job Is Boring bit.ly/5c8Ab6
- 14:55 Only one thing makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure (via @paulocoelho @valdiskrebs)
- 16:54 The 100 Games Cupcake Game: gotta have a good memory to have such great memories! bit.ly/66Hb4u (via @boingboing)
- 17:53 Getting ready to go play the first round of our @scvda dart season playoffs. Hope my arrows are true tonight.
- 21:27 @pamo it's a real eye-opener as to how active our planet really is. All those quakes that don't make the news!
Thursday, January 07, 2010
- 09:29 Suddenly very excited for my biz trip to Thailand, leaving Friday. So much to do before leaving, tho.
- 10:24 RT @avinashkaushik: 5 Sweet Web Analytics Resolutions To Kick It Up A Notch: bit.ly/76PE4L (via @aaronstrout)
- 13:55 Beware: As social scamming gets more sophisticated, you're only as safe as your most promiscuous "friend" bit.ly/4nSlKJ
- 21:19 @dallant it can't continue forever, but you will at least go three for three :)
Wednesday, January 06, 2010
- 07:06 3 steps to manage your inner critic: examine it, understand how it can help you, act in spite of it bit.ly/4Hwk2s
- 09:44 don't go buying (or building) another bullhorn. They won't work much longer cuz everyone's going deaf. bit.ly/5VDEoC
- 10:32 RT @dallant Learn how to identify and embrace people who see the world differently than you do bit.ly/vrAT5 via @gigaom
- 13:45 it is not who you know, but what you learn from, & with, who you know. it's about participating in knowledge flows. bit.ly/8O2G81
- 15:47 cheers! RT @violetblue: I suggest that from now on, every time someone says the word "community" we all take a drink.
- 16:24 "The human body has limitations. The human spirit is boundless." - Dean Karnazes #quote
- 23:06 @ncjack what wonderful news! enjoy
Tuesday, January 05, 2010
- 08:40 Much merriment on the school yard this morning. Nice to see young friends reuniting after the holiday break.
- 10:22 Different kinds of Twitterers: what's the right balance for business? (old-but-good post by @stoweboyd) bit.ly/CSMKU
- 11:39 @Ross stay strong, Ross. I've managed to make it 11.5 years since my last pack and I've never regretted quitting.
- 16:21 @CommonCraft @leelefever Does your website have a @CreativeCommons license? If so, no need to worry about date changes!
Monday, January 04, 2010
- 06:38 Life can either be accepted or changed. If it is not accepted, it must be changed. If it cannot be changed, then it must be accepted. - Anon
- 17:19 so love being able to walk out to the balcony to harvest fresh herbs for dinner prep
Sunday, January 03, 2010
- 06:14 @perezda safe travels, my friend! We're ready to have you back on the left coast again.
- 07:53 RT @bradrourke Proud to introduce my new blog, "In The Band." About music & being in a band. Pls read, RT, share! j.mp/8ChfWC
- 09:09 been waiting an hour for my MacBook Pro to finish "secure emptying" its trash. I can hear shredder working overtime... or is that the fan?
- 21:09 RT @AlexanderLaw Trust your hunches. They're usually based on facts filed away just below the conscious level.
Saturday, January 02, 2010
- 07:00 Think I'll start 2010 filling up my iPod a bit more. Amazon's got 800 albums at $5 each: bit.ly/7zuSTp
- 08:01 Heading out to run my first 10K of the new decade: the 2010 New Year's Run for a Healthy World in Palo Alto, CA
- 10:55 Starting the decade off on the right foot: a new PR at 10km distance. w00t!
- 13:12 Taking the eldest up to SF's Chinatown (her request) to walk around and maybe get some dim sum for New Years.
Friday, January 01, 2010
- 08:16 enjoying this last morning of 2009. Has been a wild ride this year and is only going to get more adventurous in 2010.
- 10:32 and with a twist and a snap and a squeal, my eldest has removed yet another baby tooth from her mouth ::shudder::
- 11:14 we were on St Croix, at Cruzan Rum distillery. Celebrated our Y2K NCL cruise at midnight off Pt Udall, USVI #10yearsago
- 15:51 my youngest is role-playing our argument about her deserving a time out. Not too sure I like how she's practicing throwing a snit fit.
- 16:03 @DennisWhittle @GlobalGiving congrats on such a fantastic year!
- 16:13 @Lurtz very jealous of you. Enjoy St Croix and all the Cruzan you can stomach!
- 20:24 Enjoying the final hours of 2009 while looking forward to undertaking many resolutions for 2010. Happy New Year, everyone!