- 02:17 insomnia again. sigh
- 11:22 at the farmer's market in Redwood City. yummy fresh!
- 14:28 REI San Carlos special: buy anything this wknd, take receipt to Chipotle for free burrito 9/1-9/5
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Saturday, August 30, 2008
- 09:18 Great call this morning with the team in charge of the Boulder/Bergamo Forum wiki. This is going to be fun!
- 10:01 newsflash: 24 years later, Republican Party follows suit
- 11:59 In the end, I'd rather have someone of my generation as President outright than someone of my generation "just a heartbeat away."
- 14:26 little known fact: SARAH PALIN?! = IRAN PALS? HA!
- 16:03 office is just about empty ahead of the three day weekend. It's a great time to be productive before knocking off myself.
Friday, August 29, 2008
- 06:37 headed out for a run before it gets hot today
- 07:25 finished a quick 5K then tended the chickens. now to feed the kids
- 08:50 a morning full of meetings awaits, then an afternoon of hyper-productivity (if my schedule holds)
- 13:53 Bike Nashbar sends out email blast with screaming deals and slashdots itself (again). Would be funny if not so predictable
- 14:54 fav quote from #dnc08 "People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
- 16:37 educating myself on Redwood City Open Space Vote (measure W). the "no on W" campaign is light on details as to why say no. suspicions raised
- 17:51 Off to run the SCVDA Fall 2008 Season captain's meeting. Our new dart season starts next Thursday with 18 teams across 3 divisions.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
- 08:08 today's dry cleaning day. closet to sit empty for a few days and then fill up again all sparkly and clean
- 09:38 Impressed with the functionality & the outputs of Netminer 3 for our network visualization needs. If only it ran on Mac. anyone else a fan?
- 11:46 got a chance to look at an exciting new project. excellent brain candy
- 12:01 I heart REI. Bought 2 sleeping bags last month at regular price. They're now on sale. REI phone rep just refunded the $100 difference. w00t!
- 14:32 getting back in the flow after a late lunch at Milagros
- 15:56 A little help please? Take a moment to nominate this Great Recess for Healthy Kids project to receive $$ from AMEX: snurl.com/3kf55
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
- 07:51 one week until school starts (not that I'm counting down)
- 09:53 inbox zero! (thank goodness for the late August slowdown)
- 10:46 thanks to fresh fruit delivery here at office, reminded that an avocado is a type of fruit. does that mean guacamole = fruit salad?
- 11:09 discovering via emails re: no DMs that in the great "where'd my followers go?" Twitter snafu, my followings weren't fully restored. awkward
- 14:36 great lunch with a fellow Mt Whitney summitter (separate trip from mine). Good to compare notes and set sights on future peaks to scale.
- 16:06 freshly off a call discussing the wiki we're building to support an upcoming microfinance forum. exciting stuff and makes for a busy week
- 17:10 Reading stories of sense of entitlement for special treatment running rampant at #dnc08 in Denver is partly why I won't donate more $$
- 17:32 heading home to put in a 4 mile run before dinner.
- 21:18 4.7 mile run logged before dinner. catching up on Daily Shows now
- 23:32 time to call it a night. shutting down
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
- 07:49 beautiful sunrise over the Bay this morning. hope the rest of the week is just as nice
- 09:23 walked to work this morning. If I do it more often, will need to wear more appropriate footwear.
- 14:38 Been on the road for last 3+ weeks & am more convinced than ever mom-n-pop shops MUST have mobile-optimized web sites for the BB/iPhoners
- 15:39 @acarvin relax: you'll be able to live tweet faster with one hand than most can with both on their best days. heal soon.
- 16:26 crafting a post for urbanchickens.net re: code enforcement officer visit. Of course, we're in compliance. How about calling ME next time?
- 17:22 @astrout go to O's game, should be no contest
Monday, August 25, 2008
- 14:12 great 8-mile run along the Potomac this morning. now in seat 20G on UA233 back to SFO
- 19:50 touchdown SFO. it's good to be home again.
- 20:24 fastest claiming of checked bags ever (law of averages in full force here)
Sunday, August 24, 2008
- 05:24 Obama-Biden has a good ring to it.
- 05:36 got a chance to go on a quick run with my brother-in-law this AM (he's on a short leave from Iraq). He rotates out in Sept. Not soon enough.
- 17:48 great sunset heading north on I-81 from Staunton to Strasbourg, VA
- 21:09 tonight must be "camp in the left lane at the speed limit" night on hiways in VA. my kingdom for a cattle guard on the front of my car.
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Thursday, August 21, 2008
- 06:58 ugh it's early. left the car seats in the van. taking shuttle back to SFO parking to retrieve. glad I have Clear Card
- 07:14 ok. got the car seats, on the shuttle back to the terminal. flight departs in 35 min (i think i can!)
- 07:33 sitting in seat 19C on UA914. I made it! (thanks Clear Card)
- 12:39 touchdown IAD, on time even.
- 20:30 at my folks' house watching olympic beach volleyball finals while I catch up on email/feeds. Girls are finally in bed (they're still on PDT)
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
- 12:51 Reading NYT Op-Ed on boxed wine snurl.com/3ht7j I'd expect the fine Bonny Doon folks to be at forefront like they were on screw-tops
- 13:30 @redwoodcityvote can you toss a ballot issue examination link out with your urge to vote "no on W"? thanks!
- 13:46 @krob I'm hoping @redwoodcityvote doesn't turn out to be some partisan entity created solely for the "no on W" camp. thus the link request.
- 17:04 trying to get things to a place where they can run on their own a few days with minimal supervision. Glad to have talented people all around
- 17:10 would be really cool if you could "block and report" in one click the twitterspammers among us
- 18:50 @krob the "no on W" canvassers came to the house and I congratulated them on the good Twitter usage by @redwoodcityvotes - count my vote NO
- 18:51 @astrout re: twitter spammers do you simply not follow back? or do you block them (like I do)? well, yes, they do pad the ratio nicely
- 19:10 watching the men's Olympic tri on Tivo. Shhh, no spoilers please.
- 20:38 I like it when the underdog wins at the Olympics (no offense, Phelps)
- 00:02 good 4-mile-run tonight under a bright moon. Nice way to end the day.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
- 09:38 trying to figure out how to cram 5 days of work into 2 days of availability.
- 17:11 @sharakarasic and remember a most common source of the Check Engine Light is failing to screw the gas cap on tightly
- 17:47 Recruiting folks to run a local version of the Nike+ Human Race on 8/31 at 7am at Sawyer Camp Trail. any Twitter takers? dm me to coordinate
Monday, August 18, 2008
- 12:05 cool. found a cool app at tweetake.com/ that allows me to download as csv all my twitter stream, followers/ings and favs. done.
- 14:11 getting 3600 miles worth of bugs washed off the front of the van. ick
- 20:56 appreciative of kindness of good friends... is turning out to be a tough August. Silver lining? I'm now fully 10 years an ex-smoker
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Saturday, August 16, 2008
- 08:31 Bike's all tuned up, the body's as ready as it will be, now to mentally prep for the triathlon tomorrow. Gathering the gear after work today
- 11:17 getting more folks excited about the possibilities afforded by a shared contact management system
- 14:57 @krob you want a blue or orange bottle?
- 17:46 off to pick up dinner for the kids. carbo-loading for me tonight at triathlon starts at 7am sharp. good night's sleep ahead? I hope so!
Friday, August 15, 2008
- 09:00 Two days to the next triathlon. Hope I get my bicycle back from the shop (tune-up) today to avoid a late-night trial ride Friday.
- 13:10 coming up for air between meetings
- 14:18 getting ready to streamline processes at work. I love the smell of efficiency and get giddy at the thought of what we can do with saved time
- 17:29 getting ready to host SCVDA kick-off mtg. If you're interested in playing darts in Silicon Valley this Fall, check out scvda.com for details
- 22:15 hey NBC, if the Olympic coverage ain't live for us West Coasters, take the LIVE bug off the screen. we're not stupid
Thursday, August 14, 2008
- 08:31 I'm returning to work from a two-week vacation. A pile of email and snailmail awaits as I start my sixth year with Omidyar Network.
- 13:17 great to be back at work (really) all recharged and ready to go. Now to prioritize the list of items that sat waiting for my return
- 17:36 how did the end of the day (in the office) get here so soon? gotta find time to do a light workout tonight. triathlon's just 3 days away
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
- 09:21 home again and dealing with the details. Thanks to so many of you for your condolences on the passing of Argus. You're helping fill the void
- 12:09 major kudos to Peninsula Pet Resort and Peninsula Humane Society for making this whole thing so much easier to deal with. Such compassion
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Since I had my camera with me, I decided to take my own pics of the action as best I could in the low light and without a tripod.
As always, I uploaded the pics to my Flickr stream, and went about my day-to-days.
Wouldn't you know it, but a few weeks after the upload, my car-crazy brother (crazy in a good way) points out my Ferrari picture set is featured on the front page of both Carscoop and Jalopnik blogs this week!
Great to be a part of the social media stream, and to have contributed to a couple communities I've only lurked in for a long while now.
Monday, August 11, 2008
- 07:24 awake in Hermiston, OR. getting in a quick run to flush out the lactic acid before we're back on the road
- 09:03 kennel called to tell us our Great Dane, Argus, passed away last night. We're still 2 days from home. He was such a good dog. grief is heavy
Sunday, August 10, 2008
- 05:48 up and getting ready for the 10K Loop the Lake race in Invermere, BC. Flickr stream of trip so far updated overnight: snurl.com/3dh8c
- 09:23 ran the (very hilly) Loop the Lake 10K in 53:42. Still a great way to start the day, and a good cap to our trip to Canada. Now we start home
- 14:06 back in the USA again. only 45 min stuck at the border. no problems getting thru (still have my laptop and BB)
- 14:43 @bradrourke congrats on the great run today... you went farther and faster, but I got a number to wear ;^)
- 17:43 no more Idaho, just 3 states to go: WA, OR, CA. will finish with WA before day's end (in Spokane now)
Saturday, August 09, 2008
- 09:42 we've broken camp at Banff. on our way to Lac Moraine and then Radium Hot Springs and a hotel room tonight!
- 16:55 great time canoeing in Lac Moraine today, now we're in Radium Hot Springs and I'm reading thru my race packet for the 10K tomorrow
- 17:53 hooray! wifi at our Radium, BC hotel (beautiful views, too) uploading pix to Flickr, but is a slow connection. will tweet link when ready
- 20:23 great dip in the radium hot springs pool. eating dinner then I rest... race time is 8am..
- 21:36 just saw that the 10K course tomorrow is a "hilly course and you should not expect to run a Personal Best." let's see if I can crack 50:00
Friday, August 08, 2008
Thursday, August 07, 2008
- 08:57 had our first bear sighting of the trip, across the road from our tent (gulp)
- 15:51 just spent an hour on top of Sulphur Mtn. gorgeous views and a fun gondola ride to boot
- 18:04 extended our stay by a night in Banff. Too much good stuff to see and do. Kootenay will have to wait.
Wednesday, August 06, 2008
- 06:28 beautiful run at dawn in Glacier NP this AM. watching sun light the snow was amazing
- 11:33 waiting at the border to get into Canada. long line of 6 cars ain't moving
- 12:50 eating lunch at a diner in Ft Macleod, Alberta. on our way to Calgary and Banff. beautiful but windy up here
- 15:27 diet schmiet, I'm in Calgary having a coffee and donut at Tim Horton's. hockey fan sez yum
- 18:59 camp set up at Tunnel Mtn CG in Banff. we're in E4, so drop on by. dinner is on the stove, s'mores later
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Monday, August 04, 2008
- 17:12 in the middle of nowhere (ryegrass rest area on I-90) in Washington State. trying to get to Idaho by dusk to set up our tent
- 19:31 just filled the tank east of Spokane. about to go where I've never been before: Idaho!
- 23:14 made it to the campsite after dark. tent up, girls in bed, ate yummy meal of pan-roasted wild local salmon and sauteed veggies. g'nite!
Sunday, August 03, 2008
- 16:35 taking a (sanctioned) break from the conference proceedings. swam with the kids in the indoor saltwater pool. next up: hiking or golf?
- 17:34 just saw THE worst case of plumber's crack evar. was on a good samaritan changing someone's tire, tho, so didn't flickr it out of respect.
- 21:38 for the first time in three years, hit a bucket of golf balls at the range. wish I hadn't hit them so well.
Saturday, August 02, 2008
- 08:58 just finifhing a delicious breakfast at Bahma Cafe in a rainy Stevenson, WA. hope this clears soon. on our way to Mt St Helens
- 17:39 Sunny and warm in Hood River, cloudy and rainy in Stevenson. Guess where we're staying? (hint: it's not warm). Conference starts at 6pm
- 22:25 Great start to the conference tonight, nice to see so many familiar faces. Topic of conversation at dinner: how do you define "grace"?
- 22:53 My definition of grace: understanding the context of the event at hand and making no more nor less of its significance in said context
Friday, August 01, 2008
- 07:26 making Peet's coffee on the Coleman stove at Lake of the Woods campground in Oregon
- 22:57 long day criss-crossing Oregon heading north. Crater Lake, fresh blueberries, Eugene, Mt Hood and now Skamania Lodge in WA. g'night all