- 08:03 Great talk with my tax guy this morning. It's fun to be building a small business.
- 11:10 Taking my folks to Yosemite in late October... managed to score a night at the Lodge so we can stay in the valley!
- 15:58 RT @MartyKearns Lessons Learned from Creating a Social Networking Site for More than Just Socializing ow.ly/rK4T
- 18:08 @simplytheresa the want is there, so I'll make the time. See you in October! :)
- 18:21 RT @awsamuel A social scientist takes on social media bullshit: ginx.com/-9Hpbr (via @david_a_eaves)
- 19:53 Psyched to find out health insurance will pay for all but $50 of my travel shots (clinic charges $850 for them)
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
- 10:17 Getting ready to drive to Oakland to talk social media tactics over lunch with the Playworks team
- 16:17 Great visit with the Playworks team, and a nice FB bonus to see Pam at the new casa while over in the East Bay
- 16:52 @joanhan (re: twitgoo.com/3tsfa) I'll take the bottom shelf, you take the top?
- 16:52 RT @YosemiteDNC Tuolumne lodging and High Sierra camps are closed for the season. Thanks, everyone, for another great year.
- 18:14 Backed up my data and upgrading to Snow Leopard. Fingers crossed!
- 22:57 love the fact I can toss my #fivefinger shoes into the washer and they come out sparkly clean!
- 23:20 Pissed that @DirecTV has dropped Versus channel: means no opening night Sharks game on TV for me. Might switch to DISH after 10 years of DTV
Monday, September 28, 2009
- 08:28 making green pancakes with the wee ones. it's good to be home
- 10:46 wondering if the paint's actually going to dry before this Mt Whitney video finishes uploading. too close to call.
- 11:01 Pictures from my Mt Whitney climb with @dallant are posted to Flickr ginx.com/-TXHbB
- 13:15 RT @activenetwork Marathon Mania Section! Find Marathon Running Articles, Training Tips, Plans, Online Log & Races: ginx.com/-kxRjx
- 15:28 Totally love the USAA mobile@deposit app on my iPhone. Can deposit a check just by taking a picture of it!
- 19:45 Cool to watch the Intl Space Station fly overhead tonight: really bright! follow @twisst to find out when it passes over you
Sunday, September 27, 2009
- 09:15 Stuck in Rodgecrest til our plane takes off at noon. Forecast high is 104. Get me out of here!
- 11:33 Watching the TSA screeners at IYK go thru checked bags by hand. No secrets from anyone in the room.
- 13:13 Flew at 11,000' from IYK to LAX. Passed over 100s of swimming pools and not a single one in use
- 14:03 @nddulac have a great time at the game! Go Spartans
- 14:05 Walking thru LAX can't help but notice just how big people are. Except for the rail thin catwalk types, that is
- 16:27 Touchdown SFO. Great trip up Mt Whitney with @dallant. Mont Blanc in 2010!
- 20:24 how 'bout them Irish?! sweet comeback drive.
Saturday, September 26, 2009
Friday, September 25, 2009
- 06:03 Platform v eyeballs and rent v own. A great post by Seth Godin today: ginx.com/-GFwcg
- 06:06 off to the airport (SFO - LAX - IYK) for dinner in Lone Pine tonight!
- 09:05 Landed at LAX 25 min early. Sitting on Tarmac for 25 min waiting for a gate to open up. Net-net: on time arrival. Sigh
- 12:25 Flight into IYK cruised at 11,000'. Will be having breakfast higher than that tomorrow morning on the climb up Mt Whitney
- 14:58 Got my Whitney permit in hand. Heading up to the trailhead to acclimate then back to Lone Pine for dinner
- 17:34 Pizza for dinner then a nap under the stars. We set out for the summit at 4am. Updates when we return tomorrow evening. Bye
Thursday, September 24, 2009
- 00:35 @dallant surely you jest about the new shoes... s'il vous plait?
- 00:56 LOVE IT! RT @twisst8 @itsthomas ISS will cross the sky at your location at 8:46 pm! more details: twisst.nl/13513
- 09:00 too cute: listening to my youngest sing along to "Magic" by Selena Gomez
- 10:32 You don't have to like the coming era of hyper-measurement, but that doesn't mean it's not here. (via @sethgodin) ginx.com/-Aq7YW
- 10:55 RT @awsamuel Great blog post from @laurenbacon on why you shouldn't worry about falling behind. ginx.com/-2iyvCA
- 14:54 RT @weaddup We have over $33,000 worth of prizes. All ya have to do is sign up to win! www.climategiveaway.com Have fun!
- 18:12 enjoying the awesomeness that is my dopplr account linked to my flickr account to group my photos by trip taken.
- 18:36 @leelefever so sorry to read the sad news of Amos. My thoughts are with you.
- 21:27 Happily watching the Sharks and the Canucks streaming on nhl.tv (OT, baby!)
- 22:58 flight leaves in 9 hours, and I guess I'd better start packing my equipment IN the bag instead of just piling it in a corner
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
- 12:07 Coolant light flicked on in the car. Stopped in at Palo Alto Bimmer to buy more and they topped it off for FREE. w00t!
- 16:14 Until today, had been almost a year since it cost $50 to fill my car. Can't wait for gas prices to drop again.
- 16:21 RT @pierre: Just got off stage with Clinton announcing our $30m commitment to support entrepreneurship in India and Africa. #cgi09
- 18:10 Slowly but surely pulling the hiking equipment together. Flight to Inyo-Kern leaves SFO at 8am Thursday.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
- 13:28 Making my packing list to summit Mt Whitney on Friday with @dallant. This will be 3 years in a row at highest peak in lower 48
- 15:02 RT @cwolz: HBR's Piskorski on social network sites: provide "cover" for voyeurism and job seeking(?) ow.ly/qnnF
- 16:03 @peterkaminski could have sworn I was going to see you up on the stage for this: ginx.com/-YhmIV
- 22:28 wondering where the heck I put all my hiking gear
Monday, September 21, 2009
- 04:41 Up early and out the door to drive down to rave the Santa Cruz #Triathlon. I'll be wearing no. 485 today
- 05:48 Made it to Santa Cruz before transition opened. Hope I'm this fast all morning!
- 05:50 Aiming to beat 3 hours today. See you after the race
- 12:24 Woohoo! Smoked my goal time. Finished in 2:48:57. My personal best for Olympic distance %triathlon
Sunday, September 20, 2009
- 11:56 off to Santa Cruz to pick up my race packet for tomorrow's triathlon. Taking the girls with me and then we're off to a party afterward.
- 20:10 Tri bag is packed and ready to go. My swim wave starts in twelve hours!
Saturday, September 19, 2009
- 06:59 Watched the sun rise from my kitchen table in CA this morning. Sorry, no comparison to seeing it come up over Kenya
- 10:41 @ncjack back already! last Tri of the season is on Sunday (int'l distance Santa Cruz Tri). Hope to beat the jet lag by then :)
- 16:28 Thankful for 20 minute naps. Getting ready to take the eldest to the #SJSharks preseason game tonight!
- 18:33 On Caltrain to the #SJSharks game with Hannah
- 19:25 Yee-Frickin-Ha!!! There's finally free wifi at the Shark Tank. Go #SJSharks!
- 19:55 Is only fitting that Hannah lost her tooth at the hockey game (no puck involved)
- 21:27 Taking the early train home from the game to show off the tooth to mom
Friday, September 18, 2009
- 01:04 at last! made it to Munich. altho it's raining, I'm off to explore. flight for SFO leaves in 6 hours.
- 02:33 Jacking the wifi at the apple store at Marienplatz
- 06:04 nice time in Munich. had weisswurst for lunch at Viktualienmarkt and walked around city center in the drizzle. now back at MUC
- 06:14 Discovered the delightful feature known as "freshen up shower" in biz class lounge in MUC. I feel like a new man.
- 19:00 Landed at SFO. Good to be home again. 8 mo old twin girls next to me were very well behaved
- 21:18 family reunited. bags unpacked. catching up on mail/email. hoping for sleep tonight.
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
- 01:00 Finally got my Kenya sim card to work. Humbled by the trouble I had but there's a first time for everything
- 12:34 spending my last night in Nairobi. Looking forward to getting to the National Park tomorrow afternoon before flying home
- 12:52 @Stokes local Kenyans are amused at the #fivefingers ("why bother?"). Surprised at how many folks from asia/europe have seen them before.
- 20:17 watching my last Nairobi sunrise. memorizing the sights and sounds.
- 20:53 Surprised to find a monkey hanging out just outside my hotel room door. Glad I didn't leave any windows open!
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
- 08:55 jet lag and wearing a suit in a hot room did me in this afternoon. thankfully have found my second wind just before dinner
- 13:33 Had nyama choma for dinner tonight (grilled meats). Ate ostrich, camel and crocodile. Yum!
- 13:44 Dead tired. Up since 3am thx to jet lag. 21 hrs I enough. Good night!
- 20:09 Woken up by exotic bird calls. Out to do another run with the monkeys.
- 21:48 great run this morning... saw the family of monkeys again on the trail. Really loving my #fivefingers shoes on this Africa trip.
Monday, September 14, 2009
- 01:33 it's odd to see so few ads on Google results page (logging in from Kenya). Same oddity with Kenya-based FB ads, too
- 12:34 Interesting dinner conversations with folks from Sri Lanka, Mexico, Kenya and Philippines. So much to learn and share!
- 19:22 Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success. - H Ford
Sunday, September 13, 2009
- 11:09 I made it to Africa! Saw Mt Kenya on the way in. 3 hours after landing, finally at the hotel. now to get something to eat.
- 12:45 surprisingly chilly in Nairobi. Agreed to do a 5K run first thing in the morning around hotel grounds. glad I brought my kit!
- 12:56 wow, Heatley now a Shark? bye-bye Cheech and Michalek
- 19:14 managed to sleep in til 5am, awoken by a flock of very noisy (yet unseen) birds outside. can't wait til the sun comes up!
- 21:22 delightful 5K run around the hotel grounds. saw lots of monkeys and exotic birds and my feet are coated with red dust from the trail
- 23:52 It seems there are as many monkeys in the trees here as there are squirrels back in the trees at home. Amazing
Saturday, September 12, 2009
- 23:49 For want of an extra 76ml of Deep Woods OFF, had to check my bag in Zurich. sigh, shoulda bought a smaller size
- 23:52 Flying thru Germany reminds me of the importance of portion control and quality (small and high). Need to bring that home.
Friday, September 11, 2009
- 03:46 RT @WiserEarth WiserEarth is looking for a Social Media Intern ginx.com/-MoBxv #wiserearth
- 04:42 Oops, you mean the mic was on? unintentional transparency at its best ginx.com/-CGBOR
- 08:41 Dog woke me up at 2am, looking worriedly at the front door. Didn't help that "The Mist" was on TV at the time. Creepy.
- 14:05 Enjoying some quality time with Kairos at the dog park
- 16:10 packing, thinning, prioritizing, re-packing
- 16:12 @drhomes thanks, Dan! shoot well tonight and see you next week
- 19:32 lounging at SFO, on my way to MUC in an hour on LH 459
- 20:43 Safely aboard. Shutting off iPhone to avoid nasty Int'l charges. See you in Munich!
Thursday, September 10, 2009
- 01:38 RT @pierre Tom Friedman explains why we really need a functional GOP: ginx.com/-peohT
- 08:06 happy to see a bumper crop of limes on the tree.
- 09:46 thankful for good friends that are much smarter than me and willing to teach from a distance (yes, you, Jim!)
- 10:00 RT @stereogab Announced the winners of Apps for America 2: The Data.gov Challenge ginx.com/-gUmqo
- 12:16 Stopped by the ON office today. What a great group of people
- 15:44 Sweet! Insurance covers 30 days of Malarone (malaria pills). Otherwise are $7 per day
- 17:41 doing a jigsaw puzzle with my eldest. she's good!
- 20:45 24 hours from now, I'll be nestled in my Lufthansa seat, about to take off for the other side of the world (getting excited!)
- 21:44 @ryankanno thanks! hoping my new blue fivefingers arrive before I have to dash to the airport :)
Wednesday, September 09, 2009
- 10:23 another example of "the rich get richer" aspect of networks, via study of Twitter followers ginx.com/-C1g9S
- 16:49 Happy to work in a 10km run on the way to pick up the minivan from service
- 17:54 @dallant don't forget, I'm going to be sitting on my duff all the way to Africa and back the week before our climb.
- 17:57 Interesting Rockefeller Foundation "Philanthropic Advisor" job opening in SF. Know someone good? ginx.com/-OeDXZ
Tuesday, September 08, 2009
- 11:18 Great last hilly bike ride with Thom before he moves to Texas. Up Moody and Old La Honda.
- 14:46 all shopping for the Kenya trip is complete! Now I've got three days to make it all fit in carry-on :)
- 18:10 Having sushi with the family
Monday, September 07, 2009
Sunday, September 06, 2009
- 13:51 just moved 60 cubic feet of yard material so's to muck the chicken yard. The coop smells nice and fresh (tho I won't until after my shower)
- 20:15 stuffed salmon and asparagus spears for dinner. Now watching the Bears feast on the Terps.
- 21:45 @rozsavage congrats on making it to Tarawa! so proud of your accomplishment (104 days at sea)!
Saturday, September 05, 2009
- 08:39 RT @berkmancenter: More carrot, less stick! bit.ly/46OLDt Dave Rand's new paper on human cooperation: bit.ly/xQxGb
- 13:59 At the travel medicine clinic. Shots incoming. Only five tho
- 14:34 Vaccine slurry in my system: hep A, meningitis, polio, tdap and flu. Joy
Friday, September 04, 2009
- 07:59 @ryankanno thanks for the tip! have a blue pair of 44s on their way (bought a $2 luggage tag to beat $7 in shipping)
- 17:44 Great coffee and discussion just now with @eekim. Even better to be reminded just how brilliant your friends are.
Thursday, September 03, 2009
- 10:21 Making plans to climb Mt Whitney on 9/25 with @dallant, what a busy September!
- 13:21 job opp: PT co-director for @globalvoices Lingua translation community: ginx.com/-coLC2
- 13:53 sweet! <3 from MSM RT @huffingtonpost Urban Chickens: The Latest Trend In New York City (VIDEO) bit.ly/G9q9P
- 14:11 off to SF for meetings, meetings and dinner, then back home for more late-night calls.
Wednesday, September 02, 2009
- 08:05 stand corrected by Blood Ctr staff: the travel meds don't DQ me from donating, the time in Africa DQs me. time to get another tattoo!
- 10:07 awesome! RT @Peets_Tweets: Come take a virtual tour of our Alameda roasting plant. ginx.com/-xER37
- 12:47 crap. getting 502 errors trying to get to gmail
- 18:37 amused to hear NPR story about wolf hunting in Idaho & hunter who's fed up with his prey cuz "wolves just kill elk for sport!" oh, irony
- 23:01 @RobCottingham welcome to the stream! Can't wait to share the adventure... starts on 9/10!
- 23:46 Lots of oohs and ahhs over my #fivefinger KSOs at the hair salon today. If I were a #vibram salesperson, I could've made a killing.
Tuesday, September 01, 2009
- 06:39 Driving to UC Davis to the lab
- 12:10 Off to donate a pint of O Positive. Getting my yellow fever shot on Friday which DQs me from giving blood for a year.
- 13:04 Cool: Stanford Blood Ctr giving out coupons for free pint of ice cream at Baskin Robbins for donors. Yum