- 07:56 Tutkey is in the brine. Off to run the 10k trot
- 08:24 Race starts at 9am. Hoping to finish in under 50 minutes. Wish me luck!
- 10:15 Finished in 51:55. 20 min faster than 2007. Lots of traffic on the course (5k walkers).
- 12:00 thankful to have so many well-wishers after today's 10K. Looking forward to cooking a big meal to replace those 1000 calories burned
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
- 09:34 taking the week off from work to get maximum puppy time, with a few end-of-race-season appointments sprinkled throughout. ahhhh
- 12:54 good checkup with the doc: Pulse:43, BP:92/64, bmi:24. my gift? two shots (tdap and flu). If I could whinny, you'd know how healthy I was.
- 13:51 getting ready to head out to the Bike Connection in Palo Alto to get my bike professionally fitted to me: no more equipment excuses :)
- 17:51 great bike fitting session by Mike at Bike Connection. Dialed in on the bike, and got pointers on my own form, too. it's a much better feel
- 01:23 finally done putting all the pieces of the book together. sent off for proof-reading. fingers crossed I nailed it.
Monday, November 24, 2008
- 13:27 it's a playing-with-a-new-puppy kind of Sunday :-)
- 13:42 @garyconn in short: yes (see my urbanchickens.net as an example). I tried answering on your site, but seems it didn't go thru.
- 13:44 nothing's better than having a sleeping puppy as a foot warmer
- 17:04 if you thought you could get a jumpstart on t-day groceries by shopping today: think again!
- 19:42 finishing up our home-cooked chicken tikka masala. Not bad if I say so myself. Pretty darn tasty
- 21:37 @lpetrides I"m still following you. my heart goes out to you re: Carl's passing
- 22:59 time to call it a night after the puppy goes outside one more time
Sunday, November 23, 2008
- 11:36 Just spent our last morning sans pooch. We're about to head out to pick up the puppy from Modesto (it's a two hour drive to get there).
- 14:30 just filled up with $1.99/gal gas. Wow
- 20:03 watching the Sharks beat up on the Caps. 2 goals on 3 shots in 1st period
Saturday, November 22, 2008
- 01:31 tourney is over. Congrats to Ron and Jo-Ann for winning. Now to go home and sleep!
- 02:42 hoping I haven't crossed the no-sleep threshold. don't know when I'll be able to make it up if I can't sleep tonight. sweet dreams I hope?
- 09:24 someone brought malasadas to work today. I broke down and ate one. Was yummy, but now I feel like I need to go run 5 miles.
- 11:12 it's a crunch day: all kinds of data and presos are due to me by noon so I can start assembling them into a big book. fingers crossed
- 11:46 @lpetrides yes, set up the acct @tkfood and dm my food intake when I eat it to capture for the record. srsly considering wildflower, yes!
- 14:37 sweet! I won $7.01 in Predictify's 2008 Election Showdown. Glad I could contribute to the wisdom of the crowds with my picks :)
- 15:08 in the throes of data imports and doc merges. I can see daylight ahead, tho
- 15:37 Is it too much to ask Word to merge a spreadsheet of 17 rows by 98 columns into a layout? evidently, yes. Having to batch 5 rows at a time
- 16:22 @casefoundation welcome to Twitter!
- 18:03 so I've got the "mountains" theme in my Gmail and I just noticed that there's a new mountain in my background today. cool!
- 20:09 hooray, the first draft of the big-ass merged book is done, all 140 pages PDFd. Now to go home and have a brew.
- 20:12 @jackodog congrats on the first egg!
- 21:17 eating leftover green curry chicken trying to decide between online poker and catching up on the DVR list. must disengage brain
- 00:07 counting down the days (4) to my Locks of Love donation. Shampoo usage and shower time should decrease dramatically.
Friday, November 21, 2008
- 08:13 it gives me the willies: this quadraped robot is square in the Uncanny Valley: tinyurl.com/zvc4f
- 10:26 thankful for blip.fm and my Shure e4c headphones to block out the noise of cube de- and re-construction around me. Only 1 more day of this
- 10:54 @VickiMoore curious, what would make the presentation better?
- 11:07 sweet, I just got my gmail themes turned on!
- 11:11 @vickimoore ugh, hope you don't have to suffer his insecurities much longer
- 11:48 @NurtureGirl imo, people being broke but hoping they can work it out as a group brings them together
- 11:52 RT @StephanieMcA Good work: how pro bono strategic planning does/doesn't work in nonprofits tinyurl.com/6h7yyb
- 13:03 Prepping to see a nutritionist (part of my triathlon training): setting up a new Twitter acct to DM my food intake to capture what and when
- 16:10 @ellnmllr ouch
- 16:23 Looking forward to tonight's Steve Sutton Memorial Dart tournament. He ran the SCVDA for many years, is good to honor him at last
- 22:00 dart tourney going well. 60 players turned out. Winners take home $350
- 23:39 down to the money round in the dart tourney. Still at least 90 min of playing left
Thursday, November 20, 2008
- 08:29 sitting in the jury holding tank awaiting instructions
- 08:55 thank goodness the jury clerk has a sense of humor. Otherwise it would be a long morning.
- 09:54 Thankful the San Mateo Co. Courthouse Jury waiting room is wifi enabled and the staff have good customer service skills, too.
- 11:21 the prospective jurors are getting restless. Three hours in the holding tank & people are starting to get on each other's nerves. oh joy
- 11:55 reading my Triathlete's Training Bible on the jury waiting room. Suggests 500-700 training hours for Vineman 70.3 in July. Eesh
- 15:16 wifi network keeps going down in the jury holding tank. No cell reception so access to web is fleeting
- 15:51 RT @alienvenom BREAKING NEWS: California Supreme Court Will Hear Prop 8 Challenge! Sign the pledge: tr.im/RepealProp8 #RepealProp8
- 16:17 I can't WAIT to change the theme of my Gmail mailbox: tinyurl.com/6gvgfn
- 16:56 I'm free of jury duty for the next 12 months. Rejoice!
- 18:32 taking my eldest out to dinner to celebrate her stellar report card. So proud
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
- 08:59 debating whether to join the triathlon club's run workout tonight or just do some miles on my own
- 13:00 debate over: going to do the track work out with Silicon Valley Tri Club tonight. & signed up for the 10K Silicon Valley Turkey Trot, too!
- 13:26 @jsb we're using a LinkedIn group as a post-meeting keep-in-touch group to further discuss content learned at the meeting & share resources
- 14:48 Oh swell: Zimbra desktop regurgitating 3 error messages/minute re: a calendar item gone bad. Msg count currently at 768. no ETA on fix.
- 16:51 RT @Rumford Twitter Consumer Survey. Let your voice be heard! Need your input. please retweet tinyurl.com/6xrs86
- 19:40 really glad I worked out with the Tri club. Gonna feel it in the morning!
- 21:47 kicking it on the couch with a cold beer, mellow tunes via blip.fm and an open blog post window in front of me. now, what to write?
- 21:49 @rumford way to go! don't let up :)
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
- 06:46 Only Monday, but I'm already formulating excuses why I shouldn't be seated on a jury this Wednesday. What's your best advice for dismissal?
- 09:14 Dear CIO Insight: You lost any credibility you were seeking in "10 Insightful Web 2.0 Books" via your choice of UX: snurl.com/5pvd3
- 12:51 rumors of our dart team missing the playoffs were greatly exaggerated. we're in!
- 12:58 RT @leelefever just launched the Common Craft Explainer Network, a resource for finding custom video producers. More info: is.gd/7SwR
- 14:10 RT @beautifulthangs Are you a Social Citizen? Take the quiz & find out (& maybe win some sweet gear) tinyurl.com/6bemg6
- 17:20 @evablue and I'm following you, too!
- 17:34 looking forward to the poker game tonight. more for the company than the cards, but if I win I won't complain
- 18:20 After two years of silly ignorance, I finally ate my first feijoa fresh from the bush in our backyard: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feijoa
Monday, November 17, 2008
You can tour (via images trapped in a crappy slideshow) the ten Web 2.0 books CIO Insight has pulled together, or you can peruse the list here.
Take yer pick of format starting with this one (titles linked to their Amazon page):
Here's hoping you get smarter from them all, too!
Take yer pick of format starting with this one (titles linked to their Amazon page):
- Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies
by Charlene Li and Josh Bernoff
- Naked Conversations: How Blogs are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers
by Robert Scoble and Shel Israel
- We the Media: Grassroots Journalism By the People, For the People
by Dan Gillmor
- Web 2.0: A Strategy Guide: Business thinking and strategies behind successful Web 2.0 implementations.
by Amy Shuen
- An Army of Davids: How Markets and Technology Empower Ordinary People to Beat Big Media, Big Government, and Other Goliaths
by Glenn Reynolds
- The Wealth of Networks: How Social Production Transforms Markets and Freedom
by Yochai Benkler
- The Corporate Blogging Book: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know to Get It Right
by Debbie Well
- The Cluetrain Manifesto: The End of Business as Usual
by Cristopher Locke, Rick Levine, Doc Searls and David Weinberger
- Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations
by Clay Shirky
- The Revolution Will Not Be Televised: Democracy, the Internet, and the Overthrow of Everything
by Joe Trippi
Here's hoping you get smarter from them all, too!
Sunday, November 16, 2008
- 09:19 off to donate blood this morning (shortage of O, B, B-, AB-). taking the eldest with me to watch. Come join us at Stanford Blood Center?
- 11:03 bummer. Bad needle stick and the donation had to be halted halfway thru. Can donate again in January.
- 18:10 making green curry chicken for dinner. Fun to play with thai spices :-)
Saturday, November 15, 2008
- 07:22 none too pleased that the sync between my iPhone and Zimbra has wiped out all photos in the phone contacts. must find out how to restore
- 07:30 @glennstrachan you and your aunt are in our hearts today
- 11:21 @dcallejon nice to see you evangelize the Twitter!
- 11:30 Disappointed we missed the playoffs this dart season. The team we needed to win didn't. Serves us right for not controlling our own destiny
- 12:02 My Pilots have arrived. Off to get the new tires put on the car. I heart the grippy bits.
- 14:48 the joys of listening to a mouth-breather re-configure cubes in the row across from me. Putting on headphones now.
- 15:34 surprised (not really) that the NHL all-star balloting doesn't include any kind of FB app. And we wonder why there are so few fans
- 17:21 new rubber on the car. Feels so good, but gotta remember these first miles are going to be a little bit slipperdy :)
- 19:05 rating sushi with the fan at Suisha House. Yummy
- 20:33 Now hear this: blip.fm/profile/nuegito/blip/1268798
- 20:44 per wsj.com, Costco sold 75 million bottles of wine in the fiscal year ended 8/31. (that's US$1.1B of wine)
Friday, November 14, 2008
- 05:12 up early, waiting for the sun to rise in the Bay Area before heading out on a short run
- 11:09 stealing myself for another customer support call to AT&T to try to straighten out the iPhone billing setup (again).
- 11:09 heh. make that "steeling myself"
- 13:07 my "let's have a late-lunch meeting" is running late. another 10 minutes, and I'll have to eat on my own.
- 16:29 Am booked Sunday afternoon to be filmed as part of a short on urban chicken owners in the Bay Area. what fun!
- 21:03 great watching the Sharks beat up on the Flames with 20 min of hockey to go
- 22:03 a very satisfying 6-1 Sharks win tonight. We're back on track.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
- 09:58 We got our puppy pickup appointment time. Nov 22 at 3pm. I'm almost as excited as the kids are!
- 11:01 shared a moment with my youngest at breakfast today as together we sang along to Johnny Cash's version of "you are my sunshine." good times
- 14:26 @billjohnston heh, you said "twitscount"
- 19:52 At the 2008 Tech Awards listening to Muhammad Yunus accept his Humanitarian of the Year award.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
- 08:28 Visions of process flows in my head. gotta sketch them on a napkin now and download OmniGraffle to digitize later.
- 10:06 @identitywoman congrats on overdue Fast Company props as a most influential woman in Web 2.0! snurl.com/5brij [www_fastcompany_com]
- 16:56 first meeting of the new team here at work: wow, am I jazzed at what we're going to accomplish together
- 18:29 hanging with the shorties at home while the better half goes to the Sharks game tonight. A fair trade, right?
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
- 07:52 Today's my first day using Zimbra for email/calendar/contacts. Ugh, what a productivity drain trying to remap to a new system
- 11:01 due to BlackBerry/NotifyLink/MeetingMaker bugs, I went 3 months without PDA access to my calendar. Today: all is on my iPhone. rejoice!
- 15:29 over lunch, ordered a set of Michelin Pilots for the car. pricey little habit this driving thing is
- 16:51 looking forward to tonight's Silicon Valley Tri Club mtg. Last club meeting of 2008. I hope to begin building the 2009 race calendar soon
- 18:01 Candlelight vigil for No on Prop 8 at major intersection in Redwood City lots of honkimg in support
Monday, November 10, 2008
- 09:48 the girls are busy marking up the toy catalogs with everything they want for Xmas. Don't think there's an unmarked page in there.
- 14:23 it's a yard work kinda day to do some cleaning up before the rain sets in for the winter season here in the Bay Area.
- 16:18 in a cooking mood: making braised hoisin beer short ribs with smashed Yukon potatoes. Yum!
- 21:45 dinner was yummy, still tired from the race so don't think I'll be long for staying awake tonight.
Sunday, November 09, 2008
- 05:39 race morning. Eating a light breakfast and doing one last gear check. My wave starts in 2 hrs. Thanks all for the well wishes
- 12:34 SF triathlon is over. Finished in just under 3:12. Not bad for my first Olympic distance tri. Now to recover
- 15:53 @sanjspatel hardest part of the triathlon is the mass start of the swim (imho). if you can survive that, the rest is relatively easy :)
- 17:20 My race report for today's SF Triathlon at Treasure Island is at snurl.com/58tp8 (warning: it's a long one)
Saturday, November 08, 2008
- 08:44 24 hours from now, I'll be on the bike leg of the SF Triathlon at Treasure Island. getting that pre-race nervous/anxious/giddy feeling
- 09:18 RT @Pistachio BusinessWeek on "building a better Twitter" twurl.nl/uvwhb1 (my two cents: blip.fm rocks but is a real time stealer)
- 14:14 exporting and formatting data and setting up a series of document merges. fingers crossed the streams combine well to make something pretty.
- 20:23 race packet picked up (I'm bib 313) car tire changed (thanks Thom) now to eat, pack & sleep
Friday, November 07, 2008
- 08:30 Mercury News reports 49.8% of registered voters in SF County voted this year = lowest in Bay Area (55% in San Mateo Co.) thus went Prop 8?
- 09:24 paying $2.89/gal for gas right now. Just 5 months ago I paid $4.89/gal. What a price drop!
- 10:50 seeing lots of attention on goldendoodles as the potential First Puppy. Highly recommend the pick. Our doodle comes home with us on Nov 22!
- 11:56 @themaclady on FB got a link to this post as possible explanation of why Prop 8 passed www.dailykos.com/story/2008/11/5/11240/7443
- 14:30 packing up my desk to move upstairs tomorrow first thing tomorrow morning. Same great job, new great perspective on the office layout!
- 17:27 went to login to Predictify.com (where I've got a cash balance for past correct predictions) and am getting someone else's profile. doh
- 17:38 My Urbanchickens.net blog got its 50,000th page view earlier today. Happy to inhabit this niche and it pays for the chicken feed via the ads
- 22:26 @rumford congrats on the progress! I went from 222 to 182 (I'm 6'2") so can appreciate the effort
- 22:42 @rumford took me 10 months by training for triathlons and now I'm hooked and don't plan on chubbing up again
Thursday, November 06, 2008
- 07:41 riding the packed Caltrain to SF. Folks look hungover but happy. Now the hard work begins
- 14:56 back in the office after a couple days of inspiration at #dreamforce great to see so much joy at Obama's win. And much disgust at Prop 8 win
- 15:46 The SF Tri at Treasure Island is just 2.5 days away. Tonight I do one short run and then it's all rest up until the race begins Sat morning
- 17:28 rumor has it the puppy Barack promised to get his daughters for the White House is going to be a pitbull with lipstick ;^)
- 23:40 inspired to see on TV people marching thru the streets in LA tonight against the passage of Prop 8. Has been going on for 3 hours already?
Wednesday, November 05, 2008
- 07:11 Today's the day! After you've voted, make sure you're part of the FB voter counter (and join this group too: tinyurl.com/6qh2bv)
- 07:15 @kaparkins hooray! you did it! (feel better soon)
- 08:54 @dtennant spend the rest of your day making sure everyone else you know votes, too!
- 09:52 great to see so many I Voted stickers on people of all sizes, ages and races here in SF today
- 14:17 minding the company image? the "hero customers" on stage waiting to speak about force.com workflow app sure don't look happy #dreamforce
- 14:49 fivethirtyeight.com sez: if Obama wins VA and is a close race in IN, can conclude with almost literal 100% certainty Obama will win election
- 15:47 Larry Brilliant: Corporations are beginning to understand philanthropy is not a 1-time project, it's got to be an ongoing effort #dreamforce
- 15:50 L Brilliant: Google copied Salesforce's philanthropic model (1/1/1) for Google.org (see sharethemodel.org to steal it yourself) #dreamforce
- 15:52 Brilliant: 9 times out of 10, having ideas, flexibility and entrepreneurship beats having money to solve problems #dreamforce
- 16:03 recharging my iPhone so I can follow the Twitterstream tonight while I'm at the Sharks game with a good friend from the college years
- 16:05 Larry Brilliant talking of megatrends and the case for pessimism and the case for optimism going forward. #dreamforce
- 16:06 Brilliant shows pic of actual piece of paper documenting end of smallpox and of girl who had last case. it's over. we did it #dreamforce
- 16:08 Brilliant hopes next year we open the paper and see headline "Polio eradicated" and year after that Guinea worm gone #dreamforce
- 16:10 Brilliant calls out the Omidyar Network (among others) as example of new philanthropy that will change the world w biz approach #dreamforce
- 16:11 Brilliant says new philanthropists want to solve things now while alive, not start a Fdn at end of life to carry on their name #dreamforce
- 16:13 Brilliant says we have two elections we must make today: elect to be optimistic. elect to do service to your fellow man. do it #dreamforce
- 16:15 standing ovation for Larry Brilliant at #dreamforce You can feel the optimism in the room no matter who wins the election tonight
- 18:06 Even at this point of the vote, I feel like my generation finally showed up to vote and we're kicking off a new era in US elections. At last
Tuesday, November 04, 2008
- 06:02 up early (thanks, time change!) and getting stuff done before heading to SF for #dreamforce
- 10:36 exciting to see force.com sites and the integration of force.com and Facebook. The recruiting possibilities are huge
- 11:57 got a glimpse of Neil Young's LincVolt project transforming old tech into new tech. power a house with a car? yup lincvolt.force.com/
- 12:00 gotta say, not too thrilled that ATT data coverage inside Moscone center isn't that great. esp in keynote hall. keeps the live-tweeting down
- 12:06 @scottmoore thanks for the warning. will make sure to look for coverage in all corners.
- 12:17 Rem Hoffman: there are so many nonprofits using personal productivity tools (Excel, Word, et al) to run enterprise operations #dreamforce
- 13:45 RT @acarvin Just heard that Barack Obama's grandmother died today.
- 14:08 Experts predict as much as 25-33% of voters will vote early this year. Are you among them? join this FB group: tinyurl.com/6qh2bv
- 14:21 every session at #dreamforce begins with a Safe Harbor statement. how 'bout them lawyers?
- 14:32 Facebook now has 120MM users. Added 30MM new users since end of July. It took them 3 years to get their first 30MM. wow
- 15:02 #dreamforce words to wise: people will blame the state of their data on whomever did the integration. Keep track of original data as proof
- 16:14 thrilled to run into Jeremy, former AOL colleague, here at #dreamforce he's doing great stuff as member of the board over at Crucible now.
- 16:22 @pistachio announced today at #dreamforce is the connection between salesforce.com and facebook to bring social graph into enterprise apps
- 16:29 @pistachio nope am at #dreamforce in SF. spooky!
- 16:48 hoping the rain stops before I have to drive over to Oakland tonight (it's for a worthy cause: Ray La Montagne concert at the Paramount) :)
- 17:17 want Obama to win tomorrow? better read this and GOTV: tinyurl.com/6y22qu
- 19:13 date night with my lovely wife. Dinner at MUA & then Ray la Montagne at Paramount Theater in Oakland
Sunday, November 02, 2008
- 07:06 on the way to SF for a swim/run workout. Streets empty and wet.
- 07:58 parking karma in full force. Got a spot right by the Aquatic Park
- 10:43 finally finished the workout. 3/4mi swim and 7mi run. Didn't feel good at all. Crap
- 12:18 wetsuit cleaned. running clothes in the washer. I'm showered and sipping coffee. now to figure out why the wheels fell off in my workout.
- 15:41 I just voted for Obama in #TwitVote -- twitvote.twitmarks.com/
- 16:48 girding myself for Dreamforce conf in the morning. Hope I'm feeling better
- 19:38 how 'bout them sharks?
- 10:26 the rescued cockatiel is going to a new permanent home today. Our eldest is sad, but we remind her our new puppy arrives in three weeks
- 11:28 rocking out to the new KFOG Live from the Archives Vol 15 CD. just picked it up at Peet's in Redwood City.
- 12:01 Thrilled at the rain, less thrilled at seeing one our downspouts is clogged. The honey-do list gets bigger.
- 12:02 @krob krob = supermom
- 12:14 Economist .com has a great 2.5 min video showing how electoral map changed from Jun-Nov plus commentary snurl.com/4wldt
- 13:00 @gwachob let's do that tweetup, and you picked the perfect Peets
- 13:13 the peanut butter in a Reese's cup means it's actually a healthy snack, right? (of course, I'll burn it off during my swim/run tomorrow)
- 14:45 Can't believe Notre Dame just let Pitt score on 4th & 6 from the 10. Tie game with 2:22 to go. Can Irish pull victory from jaws of defeat?
- 15:41 Notre Dame misses the field goal in 4OT. Now it's up to the defense to save the game.
- 15:45 And Pitt beats Notre Dame in 4OT, 36-33. sigh
- 16:00 HASTAC letter of recommendation submitted before the deadline. Hope the AccessAsia project wins the support.
- 16:24 about to go spritz some gas on an open flame. details at 11
- 17:59 It is a whole new world
- 18:16 I'm now on an iPhone :)
- 18:45 it's a weird feeling to have just bricked my blackberry, but change is good. now to remap my life to the iPhone...
- 22:40 the migration to iPhone isn't without its wrinkles. seems the Apple Store folks set me up with two separate Family Talk plans, not one
- 23:24 got my gear all ready by the door for an open water swim in the AM up at SF Aquatic Park and then a run to the Golden Gate Bridge and back
Saturday, November 01, 2008
- 09:45 honoring our IT guru by having half the office dress like him for Halloween (read: wearing solid black outfit). tres chic
- 09:49 some cool twitter holiday icons: >o< 8-# +-( see how: tinyurl.com/5b9fun
- 10:59 Just got wind of #magpie Trying to decide just how quickly I'll unfollow folks who rent out their tweets like this: be-a-magpie.com/
- 11:15 another use case for good web-based translation services: tinyurl.com/5e37xw
- 11:35 as part of my halloween costume, I'm wearing a pair of my old buddy-holly-esque eyeglasses. I forgot they're an old Rx. fashion fail
- 11:42 @kellieparker good idea to pop the lenses out, but my vision will be even worse. think I'll have to jettison the look to save on Advil today
- 16:05 sitting through a Zimbra training. Girding myself for a productivity drop, hope it's momentary and I get better/faster after the switch
- 17:22 gathering work to take home with me. Letter of recommendation to write tonight after the tricking and treating is through
- 22:28 bite size butterfingers are my weakness. they can't be out of the house soon enough!