- 09:51 heading off to the CA Academy of Sciences. We enter at 11am... should be a great time!
- 15:11 Enjoying a scoop of avocado ice cream at Mitchells in SF. Yum!
Monday, June 29, 2009
Sunday, June 28, 2009
- 06:44 @jedmiller thank you, Jed! Hope you're having a fantastic weekend.
- 07:00 Listening to Robyn Hitchcock's "I Often Dream of Trains" and loving every note of it. ginx.com/-gfGVx
- 09:31 Debating whether to climb Old La Honda or Kings Mtn Road today. Waiting 'til it gets hotter to simulate race conditions.
- 14:15 What a wonderful surprise to find my dad flew up from San Diego for my birthday! Such a clever family :)
- 16:09 glad Thom came out to ride with me in the 97 deg heat. Our (my) choice of the Page Mill climb was most unwise. no shade = abort 1/2 way
- 16:21 thanks everyone for your birthday wishes today. I'm truly blessed to have so many great friends
- 19:47 Can't wait for @krob to come join her husband at my house :)
- 21:04 @krob Not enough alcohol in the world. We've got 20 guys ready to come pick you up
- 00:09 What a great birthday. Good to have friends over for some sweets. No need for another dessert til I'm 41
Saturday, June 27, 2009
- 02:01 Comgrats to Lorr and Brett for winning the dart tourney. Late night but a lot of fun
- 07:47 Awesome picture of the Sarychev Peak volcanic eruption from above (via the ISS). what timing! ginx.com/-GoGKo
- 08:22 Happy to not have to pay attention to Evite RSVPs anymore (for now).
- 08:23 RT @jedmiller: Posting PDFs is like offering an orange when someone ordered juice, or slipping someone the White Pages at a party.
- 09:32 Can't decide if it's my tired eyes or the crappy font that's making this PowerPoint so painful to read
- 09:49 @jdellachiesa haven't seen the Disney train yet, no... is it worth the trip across the Bay?
- 10:01 meditating on this: networks are not a sum of parts but rather a product of the interaction of their parts
- 12:26 If Clear is going to notify me once they've deleted all my personal info, how will they know where to notify me?
- 12:38 if FB becomes more like Twitter, what will all the FB users kvetching about Twitter updates to FB do? :-) ginx.com/-L65Ns
- 13:23 RT @EllnMllr: We're going to bring the FEC into the 21st Century. Really it IS possible. Help us out: ginx.com/-dPkAm
- 16:15 I've got about 8 hours to finish those few remaining "by the time I turn 40" items. Anyone know where I can rent a Ferrari?
Friday, June 26, 2009
- 05:51 The chickens woke up first. I quieted them down with some scratch so as to let the kids sleep in.
- 09:47 RT @eekim: My brief slidecast defining collaboration and introducing the model @BlueOxenAssoc uses to think about it ginx.com/-7D8fN
- 12:41 Preparing my talking points for tonight's SCVDA Awards Party... lots of folks to thank for a wildly successful dart season.
- 13:22 was so hoping to see RSA beat BRA. I fear it's not to be with the late goal.
- 14:53 80s icons are taking a hard hit today... hope it doesn't come in threes.
- 17:13 Picking up a mess of BBQ for a crowd of 75 at tonight's SCVDA awards party
- 21:52 Great party celebrating SCVDA Spring Seaon. 60 people throwing in the darts tourney
Thursday, June 25, 2009
- 08:22 RT @NurtureGirl: It is 10am Central, do you know where your to do list is? How about your to be list?
- 08:56 People are driving like frickin banshees today. Ugh
- 18:01 With my girls at Comcert in the Park in Redwood City. Andy Z is plating great kids tunes.
- 21:10 camping out (with wifi) in the backyard with my girls. Nice to have the tent set up and see them snuggled in their sleeping bags.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
- 07:20 Blogged: SocialText goes free for up to 50 users - ginx.com/-Fsmbi (via @dahowlett)
- 11:34 Shame on Union Pacific to not repair tracks in time for Disney's Christmas Carol Train to come to RWC. is now in OAK ginx.com/-ezSCm
- 11:50 congrats @sarahkay and @jrushin on this, your second anniversary!
- 11:59 Thrilled that Socialtext is now free for first 50 users. No longer have to use PBwiki for small stuff. ginx.com/-k3uIZ
- 20:33 Great to see everyone at my sports basement shopping party. Thanks for coming!
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
- 07:22 @vaibhav1981 thanks for the link for the "since last payment" discussion!
- 08:27 RT @EllnMllr Assesing the Case Foundation's America's Giving Challenge. ginx.com/-em0Kt
- 13:58 feature idea for Find my iPhone app: take pic remotely to see environs where it's been lost. ginx.com/-6kg0D
- 21:20 As of 11pm PDT, Clear Card will cease operations. So much for the fast lane at the airport.
Monday, June 22, 2009
- 07:52 Good luck to all my #triathlon friends racing in the San Jose Olympic Distance Triathlon this morning!
- 10:41 Show support for democracy in Iran add green overlay to your Twitter avatar with 1-click - helpiranelection.com/
- 10:52 Anyone else have screwy Google #AdSense earnings reports in last week? My since last payment is off 50%, yet monthlies are OK
- 11:08 If you read the Sunday (print) paper: how many specific ads can you recall? think the rest got their money's worth?
- 19:59 Ceded the neighborhood bocce ball crown. Now grilling steaks and chicken for dinner. Beer me!
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Saturday, June 20, 2009
- 07:23 RT @NiemanLab: Is this the first academic paper on retweeting? ginx.com/-lLUnb (PDF) It's interesting!
- 10:11 @drhomes I just pointed her in the right direction. All the forward motion was her own doing. Start it all over tonight? :)
- 10:45 RT @socialcitizen: 89% of nonprofits using some form of social media, so finds soon-to-be-released Dartmouth study ginx.com/-q5w05
- 12:17 RT @billjohnston: The Online Community Unconference wiki is now open ginx.com/-18lzc
- 16:19 Thanking @perezda for showing me how to sync Gcal and my iPhone. Hooray!
- 18:41 Chilling out to music on the square in Redwood City with @drhomes @krob and @makriese wine in hand. Come join us!
Friday, June 19, 2009
- 07:42 RT @dangillmor: Guardian again shows why it's leader in understanding future of journalism: crowdsources MP expenses ginx.com/-SrSya
- 08:18 Last day of school! I can't believe first grade is already over.
- 11:42 Never thought crafting a proposal could be so fun. Equal parts dreaming, practicality and knowing what the client will realistically do.
- 19:19 Great drinks and discussion with @krob. Now in SF for dinner with Rich and Eric
Thursday, June 18, 2009
- 15:06 speaking from experience, full-sized thumbs are over-rated :) ginx.com/-v4eRB
- 20:50 completed the greening of my avatar... how about yours?
- 21:09 Digging into a new client project. The fact they're 14 hours ahead of me actually helps with the work flow.
- 21:37 70% of all health-care costs are direct result of behavior. 74% of all costs are confined to 4 chronic conditions ginx.com/-WpkZo
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
- 07:55 Climbing stairs hurts today (in a good way). Love reading recaps of the Escape from Alcatraz race, tho: ginx.com/-hafHs
- 08:50 If you're a parent with a sense of humor, check out the twitterstream of @momku just brilliant (via @marciamarcia)
- 10:26 So glad we got road hazard warranty on our Costco tires last Oct. New tire costs but $1 to replace burst one!
- 13:16 sat within sniffing distance of the Krispy Kreme shop while waiting for tire change. happy to report I resisted the urge to splurge.
Monday, June 15, 2009
- 04:43 Eyes open. Body on auto-pilot. Glad I packed last night. SF here I come.
- 05:34 Made it to SF. Beautiful day for a race. See you on the other side!
- 12:08 Hooray! Finished in 3:39 (unofficially). Thrilled to have swum from Alcatraz in 58 min. Now if I can just find my car keys.
- 16:31 official times in for Escape from Alcatraz: I finished in 3:37:04 (1166th overall). Swim: 53:19!, bike: 1:07:29, run: 1:23:23. I'm happy
- 16:32 thanks everyone for the kudos and support today. Has been a fantastic day, and I conquered my fear of the Altcatraz swim in spades!
- 16:38 great to read over the live-tweeting of Escape from Alcatraz by @athletesforacure ginx.com/-duwPk nice twitpics in there
Sunday, June 14, 2009
- 12:24 Holy cow. I found street parking in the marina. Race packet pickup here I come
- 12:32 I'll be wearing no. 998 in the Escape from Alcatraz #tri tomorrow. :-)
- 21:39 Thanks all for the well-wishes today. Off to bed shortly to wake up at 4:30am to drive up to compete in Escape from Alcatraz #Tri #EFA
Saturday, June 13, 2009
- 07:33 Just 48 hours until Escape from Alcrataz Triathlon starts. I sure hope the water is calm for the swim.
- 10:23 so nice to hear our fridge making ice cubes again. Is it too early for a rum and coke? how about now?
- 10:44 Truism from @gapingvoid: "90% of what separates successful people and failed people is time, effort, and stamina"
- 15:29 Don't see many skinny folks riding segways. Just sayin'
- 19:49 So glad I came to the Escape from Alvareaz info session. Feel a lot more confident about the swim with the sightings made plain
- 21:38 whew, grabbed my usernames for me (thomas.kriese) and for the urban.chickens fan page
Friday, June 12, 2009
Thursday, June 11, 2009
- 08:39 Wishing my parents a happy 42nd anniversary. Still going strong!
- 08:52 thinking of traveling the world? WSJ.com has a nice recap of the health risks you might encounter (get your shots!) ginx.com/-w8vao
- 08:56 Got my signed copy of "Ignore Everybody & 39 Other Keys to Creativity." Thanks @gapingvoid (great book) ginx.com/-IwRqf
- 09:09 Awesome @penelopetrunk post today. "Stop talking about information overload. That term is for weaklings." (amen!) ginx.com/-nUlt7
- 20:16 RT @waltmossberg My take on the Kindle DX: not so great unless text books take off on it ginx.com/-dtoyk [glad I didn't wait for it]
- 20:59 final Muddy Buddy San Jose results posted. We came in 114th of 978 overall and 14 of 48 in our age group. not too shabby
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
- 09:08 waiting for the fridge repairman to show up to install the new ice maker. looking forward to icy rum & cokes tonight!
- 11:34 have to buy a non-mac laptop in order to run special PC-only software in the field (no, won't work via Parallels/BootCamp). too many choices
- 13:13 Fridge repair guy didn't show up (shocked? not). called dispatch and they "just don't know why. Try again tomorrow morning?" uh, sure?
- 13:18 RT @TreeHugger Gas prices going up. Good or not? ginx.com/-H9rpb
- 13:18 @krob from where didst thou get the divine Al Pastor tacos??
- 15:42 Enough futzing with laptop configurations. I'm off to ride Kings Mtn Road. Love them hill workouts (ha!)
- 18:01 made it up 2000' to the top of Kings Mtn Rd with but a single 60 sec pause. What a difference 6 months of training makes!
- 21:18 @itchbay nice run!
- 21:21 @itchbay was a great ride! Felt really strong all the way to the top and was grinning ear to ear at the summit. Nice to conquer the hill :)
- 21:28 @itchbay I'll have to remember to say that next time (next week?). Next up: Escape from Alcatraz on Sunday!
Tuesday, June 09, 2009
- 06:11 RT @dcallejon: "Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames." -Rumi
- 09:22 I <3 Mint.com just started using recently, and the email reminders/warnings are awesome.
- 09:44 I am so very unimpressed with these !@#$% auto-expanding bing ads on NYT and WashPo. bad UX from your ad? me no visit your site.
- 10:12 headed out to make the yard look pretty for the reporter/photog. urban chicken interview at 11 :)
- 11:40 Urban chicken interview went well -- lots of fun. The article's due out on June 20th and I'll post the link when it's online.
- 22:51 Listened to a panel of Ironman finishers talk about their race experiences at the SVTC mtg tonight. Lake Placid or Canada as 1st IM in 2010?
Monday, June 08, 2009
- 05:12 Up before the sun is. Muddy Buddy or bust!
- 10:40 Top 100 at San Jose Muddy Buddy. 14th in our age group. W00t!
- 16:17 RT @mashable: Google vs. Bing: The Blind Taste Test - ginx.com/-TcjBs
- 16:30 Surprised to see a mention of urbanchickens.net in the Financial Times Deutschland. If only I could read German :)
Sunday, June 07, 2009
- 05:56 Beautiful sunrise while loading the car to head to Santa Cruz swim/bike. Tomorrow getting up even earlier to go race the Muddy Buddy.
- 08:50 Great 1.1 mile swim around the pier. Now for our 50 mile ride up the coast
- 11:12 Made it to the turnaround for our bike ride at mile 37. I think we are going more than 50 miles today :)
- 14:19 75 miles in 4:20 and I can feel it
- 17:15 Chilling with a beer and the Stanley Cup game at Mexquite in RWC. Ahhhhhhh
- 20:34 Looking forward to sleep tonight before waking up early to run Muddy Buddy. Can someone please tell me why we need to get there at 6:30a?
Saturday, June 06, 2009
- 07:37 oh, my weakness: RT @seriouseats: Happy National Doughnut Day! FREE DOUGHNUTS from Dunkin', Krispy Kreme: ginx.com/-SlvR1
- 17:12 Great run from SF Marina Green to Bakers Beach and back. Lots of bodies tanning on the beach today.
- 22:35 All packed and ready for tomorrow's early morning open water swim off coast of Santa Cruz and then long bike ride up the coast.
Friday, June 05, 2009
- 07:34 RIP David Carradine. There's one less grasshopper in the world.
- 07:51 I do like the ideas @penelopetrunk has for reducing the cost of healthcare. Do good or be rich: pick one ginx.com/-NtRc6
- 13:28 swam 2300m with Masters. Enjoying a banana berry smoothie to recover. Yum
- 15:05 RT: @GlobalGiving Help GlobalGiving win a $25k social media makeover courtesy of @communicause. Vote here: ginx.com/-mbXJv
- 19:20 RT @cshirky Demise of Should "People's current tastes are always legitimised & there's no compulsion to go further." ginx.com/-3XRAE
- 21:29 Broke 2 tire irons putting the knobby tires on the Mountain Bike tonight. grrr. Almost ready for Sunday's Muddy Buddy, tho. Bring it on!
- 21:34 RT @JoinTheImpact: "Letter To A Young Activist During Troubled Times" ginx.com/-VrcKd Inspiring. Thanks to @educ8edfool for sharing.
- 21:48 yup, still too many lawyers. Luckily, suit dismissed re: veracity of "Crunchberries" (Cap'n wins!) ginx.com/-GAkAg
Thursday, June 04, 2009
- 09:44 Between the freeway and the house there are 11 traffic lights. I got stopped at 10 of 11. Gonna be one of those days, eh?
- 10:42 busy week as an urban chicken blogger: two review copies of books and a couple press inquiries to boot. what fun
- 11:57 RT @janchip: How the mobile phone and mBanking both undermines and strengthens the family unit. Lessons from M-PESA ginx.com/-FqoOo
- 14:24 Hold the Date: Sports Basement (Sunnyvale) Shopping Party on 6/23 from 6-8pm. 20% off anything in the store. msg me for invite
- 14:37 wife (aka Birthday Girl) just shared with me a piece of her Gearhart's boutique chocolate freshly FedEx'd from C'ville, VA. deeeelicious!
- 17:56 RT @kg: The time to make up your mind about someone is never. -@benkweller
Wednesday, June 03, 2009
- 07:06 RT @hajovanbeijma: The United Nations to launch "Texting4Health" in Uganda ginx.com/-AkuIp
- 07:49 RT @ncroal Ten Percent Nation: if u holla back 2 this tweet, ur doin it rite ginx.com/-cfstM <- 10 is the new 20
- 07:58 Wow. Study of 100,000 Euro cell phone users finds nearly half never stray outside a 6-mile circle. ginx.com/-6hXbE
- 08:15 Fast Cities 2009: Seattle is City of the Year ginx.com/-hkRz1 (via @valdiskrebs)
- 08:32 swimming in the Twitterstream of #cfp09 this is what ginx.com was made for ginx.com/-pLVi
- 10:07 Totally geeking out at this Mapumental demo. ginx.com/-XePCo Static maps are so Web 1.0
- 11:20 RT @witnessorg: We're at $24K of our $30K goal for spring fund drive. Every $1 is tripled til Jun 8 help us make it: ginx.com/-aFpuo
- 12:01 maytag repairman Rx: replacement ice maker to be installed next week as this one's dead (sorry, Dad). bonus: new hinges, too!
- 21:16 What a rare treat to enjoy rain falling in Silicon Valley in June
- 22:44 @krob cryptic indeed. get the soap out :)
Tuesday, June 02, 2009
- 08:08 wow, already starting to see traffic to the urbanchickens.net blog coming from bing. that didn't take long
- 13:25 RT @NiemanLab 10% Twitter users account for 90% of tweets...interesting data on Twitter and gender ginx.com/-ajdqh
- 13:55 I Bing "urban chickens" & see my eponymous 2-yr-old, 300+ post blog is #6 in results list. My conclusion: stick with friendlier Google
- 13:56 RT @THErealDVORAK: gag going around the net.. type "allinurl" into Bing.. It kills it.
- 15:06 @NurtureGirl All hail the happy heart
- 16:27 On June 1 join me on #LocalDay and find your neighbors using your Postal/Zip Code - ginx.com/-7HQzA #94062
- 16:43 more than a little bummed the Garmin Forerunner 310XT won't be released until the day AFTER my first Ironman 70.3 ginx.com/-JAnrA
- 18:36 Took Kairos for his first ride in the BMW today (to the dog park). Doesn't smell too doggy driving to poker tonight
- 21:56 finished just out of the money at poker. Grrr
- 23:07 Bullsh*t Twitter-scare story on NBC11 right now. Did an "I'm on vacay" tweet lead to a robbery? I think not.
- 23:44 RT @BreakingNews: AIR FRANCE FLIGHT 447 -- It was reported few hours ago that a TAM airliner flying from Europe saw 'orange dots'...
- 23:50 RT @BreakingNews: AIR FRANCE FLT 447 -- French ship reached the site indicated by pilot of the TAM airliner. Found no traces of the Airbus.
Monday, June 01, 2009
- 06:41 Off to volunteer on the bike course at the Silicon Valley Tri for Kids. Over 1000 kids racing this morning.
- 13:13 Nothing's quite as inspiring as seeing the excitement on a little kid's face when they're about to complete their first triathlon. Precious
- 13:24 @PamO solution: if frogs start out labeled 1-6 (l to r), solve by clicking frogs #'d: 3,4,5,3,2,1,4,5,6,3,2,1,5,6,1 ginx.com/-528ah
- 20:20 Filling out duplicate copies of the visa application for Ghana.