- 08:43 enjoying the quiet fog
- 09:00 @andrewmccallum welcome to Twitter! (let us know how the bread turns out)
- 09:06 Can't believe it took me this long to add the "Working the Corners" blog re: the Sharks to my Reader ginx.com/-IWZ
- 12:19 Going through my blog stats to publish my list of highest-traffic posts in 2008. Have you already done the same?
- 15:47 designing my 2009 triathlon training plan using Friel's Tri Training Bible as a guide
- 17:57 warming up for the last SVTri Club track workout of 2008
- 22:43 The first person I followed on Twitter was @twinga. tinyurl.com/9cflat #firstfollow
- 22:50 @boomer race cal is on a private wiki... will send it to you via email
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
- 09:28 made cashew brittle and burned the bejeezus out of my hand on the hot sugar. Hope it at least tastes good
- 09:48 cashew brittle a success. yummy stuff (I'll run some extra miles to work it off... it's worth it)
- 17:24 gave ginx.com/-oXfF a facelift. forgot how time-consuming playing with design elements can be.
Monday, December 29, 2008
Sunday, December 28, 2008
- 06:13 up early with the pooch again. can't wait til his bladder gets bigger/stronger
- 07:10 For Xmas I gifted TCHO and got Vosges chocolate. I like Vosges much better
- 13:25 dropped the folks at SFO, they'll be back early next week for round 2 of the visit
- 15:38 Having hot cocoa at Peet's with the wee ones. With whipped cream of course
Saturday, December 27, 2008
Friday, December 26, 2008
- 06:42 Merry Christmas, everyone. Here's hoping you get just what you want today.
- 07:09 I don't know what the puppy likes more: playing in the rain or the towel dry afterwards
- 16:51 Family having a great time playing the Wii Fit
Thursday, December 25, 2008
- 09:38 I swear I saw tumbleweeds blowing through the parking lot of our building today. The Specials say it best: ginx.com/-IWB
- 10:16 it's almost resolution time... here's 12 tips on how to stick to yours in 2009: ginx.com/-qNTY
- 10:52 RT @obamainaugural Want to come volunteer at the Inauguration? Sign up here: ginx.com/-hF9
- 11:12 a robocall I was happy to receive: Allied Waste reminding us our trash pickup day is pushed back to Saturday this week and next.
- 11:25 @neddotcom thanks for the prompt, just made another loan on Kiva ginx.com/-k2K
- 12:31 @jayrosen_nyu congrats being named Blogger of the Year! ginx.com/-NHtS
- 12:36 work email has stopped sending/receiving... must be a sign
- 12:55 @cecysnyder using your swirling vortex of power for good, i hope?
- 16:46 The house reeks of salt- & herb-crusted prime rib. Another 90 min of roasting. Lucky me :)
- 18:08 Celery soup done but for the pureeing. Braised winter greens cooking down. Potatoes up next. Time to open the wine!
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
- 07:21 just got off a phone interview with a reporter from the Chattanooga Times Free Press, talking all about urban chickens
- 07:27 OH "dealing with the water main break on River Rd is still a fluid situation" heh
- 09:18 visit a Peet's store near you on 12/24 for a complimentary brewed coffee of tea as thanks for supporting the community. (nice!)
- 10:39 @garyvee YES to the free shipping code for twitterfolk
- 10:47 cool @twitfitter is a ning-based commty 4 Fitness People who Tweet about working out, being active & staying healthy ginx.com/-RTV
- 10:55 RT @beautifulthangs Speaking of transparency, best ecard award goes to Sunlight Fnd - ginx.com/-P8g (via @mstem) Clever!
- 11:31 RT @dangillmor Why GateHouse's anger with NY Times Co. over crawling/aggregating content deserves some sympathy ginx.com/-iWd
- 11:41 @stereogab mmmmm, I just drooled into my keyboard. Hope your taste buds are dancing.
- 12:27 Listening to Dave Morey's last show (posted on KFOG site ginx.com/-PcP ) and reliving the emotion of the goodbye tour
- 12:47 RT @garyvee ...Use the code: TWEETBUB and get FREE Shipping on any Champagne/Bubbles ginx.com/-RpI look at items #1,#2, and #4
- 15:57 almost time to go pick up the rib roast from Whole Foods, then home to season it for the overnight melding of flavors
- 16:50 appreciating the handiwork of the local butcher. Making the rib roast look beautiful
- 18:57 taking my Dad to the Sharks game. Great to bond over hockey
- 19:49 Watching the Sharks beat the Canuks with @jtkr or @jtkr1 we can't yet tell
- 20:40 Sharks up 5-0 at 2nd Int. Must not let up (Rangers lost their 4-0 lead tonight to the Caps)
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
- 08:34 waiting for the workout data from my bike ride this weekend to upload to MotionBased
- 08:38 seeing the WITNESS ad on Facebook a lot these days. Wondering what part of the target demographic I fit so well.
- 09:58 I think I'll use this visual assault to threaten our doodle with should he get out of hand: ginx.com/-M6H
- 10:18 RT @EthanZ: Please consider giving us a hand with our first Global Voices fundraising campaign: ginx.com/-WRD
- 15:29 after being left off the list of testers for ten months, suddenly I find two new recipes to test for Cook's Illustrated in my inbox. hmmm
- 15:52 any snail mail in my box addressed to my name and "or Current Occupant" (or its ilk) gets recycled unopened, just so's you know
- 16:55 fighting through the sugar buzz from partaking in our office cookie exchange. didn't know I worked with so many talented bakers
- 20:57 @stereogab great picture (don't forget the sopaipilla rellena at Tomasita's!)
- 23:59 @boomer 30 min is 20 min too long
- 00:53 ok, time to call it a night!
Monday, December 22, 2008
- 07:18 puppy Kairos is back to his normal self (whew). Wish he'd slept in longer, though
- 14:05 Making bizcochitos. Reminds me of growing up in Los Alamos.
- 16:50 Made five dozen bizcochitos. Some go to the cookie exchange tomorrow, some are for the tummy now, the rest for the counter for family, et al
Sunday, December 21, 2008
- 07:00 beautiful sunrise over the Bay Area this morning... a warm red-orange glow in the East
- 09:22 puppy back at the vet. something's not right, so they're doing another set of xrays to see what might still be inside. fingers crossed
- 12:35 mission accomplished: made it to the top of Kings Mtn Rd on my Felt bicycle. I'm beat.
- 20:51 test drove a Felt Comp Nine mountain bike today. Nice ride, but wasn't ready to shell out the dough today. Maybe later this week?
- 21:02 thanks @moyalynne for your great work managing the @NoOnProp8 account. you've left big shoes to fill
Saturday, December 20, 2008
- 06:14 Great to see these pix of snow where I do hill climbs on my bike just 5 miles from home ginx.com/-XzZ
- 09:03 Still in denial that this is Dave Morrie's last morning show on #KFOG
- 09:05 @triswimcoach on Facebook add the Twitter app and follow the instrxns there
- 09:41 sitting in the waiting room at the vascular surgeon's office. Waiting on a consult re my calf
- 10:38 Doc says varicose veins in calf must come out. Joy
- 11:45 @pierre if rooster belongs to someone, file an Animal Nuisance complaint with cops. If not, offer bounty. See case at ginx.com/-NGM
- 12:23 @Katrinskaya happy to talk next week. DM me your avails?
- 12:33 p $2 @wellwishes for @pistachio introducing me to this service via @tipjoy
- 15:16 Just got my report showing the great followers and influencers in my Twitter network. Get yours from MrTweet over at ginx.com/-Oqp
- 15:32 wow, thanks to a suspiciously slow internet connection, am seeing wsj.com without CSS applied. (I think I like it)
- 16:31 glad my coworkers have helmets and shoulder pads and aren't afraid to use them
- 17:24 wondering if I can resist the urge to buy a mountain bike this weekend.
- 20:12 RT @noonprop8 California Attorney General Jerry Brown urges court to void Prop. 8 ginx.com/-VDQb
- 20:49 puppy swallows headband. vet "extracts" headband. owner shells out $330 to get puppy out of impound. no repeats, please.
Friday, December 19, 2008
- 01:20 landed at SFO only 20 min late. Ready to get home for some zzzzzzs
- 02:08 Home at last
- 09:25 new job in your future? seeking development director for awesome org Catalytic Communities. ginx.com/-B2y please re-tweet?
- 17:18 RT @stereogab Clinton Foundation releases donor list; we database it ginx.com/-TIM [me: awesome!]
Thursday, December 18, 2008
- 05:55 it's pronounced "made-off" isn't it?
- 18:02 great to spend time today with @ellnmllr @stereogab and @benbins you embody what makes it even remotely tempting to move back to DC
- 18:04 sitting at IAD waiting to board the plane home to SFO. not thrilled to be in a middle seat on a packed A319 tho
- 18:09 RT @stereogab Nice, @opencongress, for being picked by RWW as best politcal site in their top 10 real world web apps ginx.com/-jH9
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
- 05:32 great 10k run along the Potomac this morning, even in the cold and rain
- 16:23 dining at Oyumel in DC. Can't muster the courage to eat the grasshopper taco, tho. The mole looks good
- 18:10 very happy to see this indictment ginx.com/-OTl
- 18:44 nice to see the Caps win in OT (home town crowd and all)
- 19:04 @ellnmllr @avelino @stereogab will try and stop by tomorrow afternoon after meetings in Rosslyn to see your digs!
- 19:17 @eekim my journey into consuming grasshoppers willingly will have to wait until next time (but thanks for the encouragement!)
- 19:26 omg, I won the 2009 Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon lottery and got a registration slot! Pausing because is a $400 reg fee. what to do?!?
- 19:39 oh wait, (embarassed) my name's not on the lottery winner's list (but registration is open to me). premature celebration on this front. sigh
- 19:54 I got excited at the oppty to swim 1.5mi thru frigid waters, 18mi grueling bike ride and 8mi run? who is this guy? ginx.com/-52t
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
- 04:08 It sure doesn't feel like it's 7am nor does it feel like winter in DC
- 05:25 Chilly in Dupont Circle this morning
- 10:57 gloriously warm this afternoon in DC. Too bad it won't last
- 19:31 full from a buffalo burger at Ted's Montana Grill. Looking forward to a run along the Potomac at dawn to burn the calories off
Monday, December 15, 2008
- 06:08 up early and departing to SFO on my way to IAD
- 07:31 On board UA914 to IAD in the exit row. Back online in 5 hours or so
- 12:50 landed IAD. Amazing to see the development in Loudoun County since we left in 2003
- 16:39 Dinner at Jaleo in DC tonight. Love the tapas.
- 19:31 Great tapas at Jaleo: plates of jamon, brussel sprouts, bacalao, shrimp, beets, and the best flan I've ever had.
- 20:31 @alexpoon the speed is seductive but beware the customer service if you go to Comcast
- 21:55 easy to forget your body's on PST your first night back east. Hard to forget your body's on PST the first morning back east.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
- 06:26 showers have already started in the Bay Area. So much for that bike ride this morning.
- 06:46 @craigrosa shoulda brought your kid over to play with the puppy. we were both awake here, too (tho, twas cuz the pooch had to pee)
- 11:36 hooray! my favorite show of the year is on: The Kona Ironman Championships. See you in 60 minutes!
- 14:22 uploading workout data to motionbased.com
- 14:41 off to calibrate my NikePlus iPod using my Garmin Forerunner 305 (if only the Garmin played music!)
- 21:09 The coconut cream pie at The Blue Plate in SF is to die for. Really
- 22:14 Just met @julietweets
Saturday, December 13, 2008
- 08:34 RT @amarashar creative commons panel tonight will be even crazier because of the lessig news. going to webcast it ginx.com/-ebj
- 09:12 working from home, waiting on the DirecTV technician to show. Sinking feeling I'll be stood up (again).
- 09:28 @gapingvoid congrats on making it to Day 12 without a cigarette! (I'm on Day 3,748 but who's counting?)
- 10:01 Got me a RoadID. If you run or bike solo, this is a must-have. Get $1 off yours at ginx.com/-K46 using code: ThanksThomas443138
- 10:06 awesome: RT @garyvee Please dont Buy anything from winelibrary.com for next 2 hrs 15 min! Speical Twitter Only free shipping offer coming
- 10:20 hooray! DirecTV tech is here in the middle of the service window (8-noon). happily surprised.
- 15:06 Just out of a great strategy session with folks from Hope Street Group. Always fun strategizing with super-smart people with a mission.
- 15:11 RT @acarvin Wow, @lessig is heading back to Harvard. ginx.com/-Qng
- 17:17 "budget" is really a four-letter word in disguise
- 17:28 bummed I'll miss SVTC's Kona Ironman viewing pizza party tomorrow
- 20:54 If you get the opportunity to step outside tonight to look at the moon, do so. It's huge! (with good reason, is closest it's been in 10 yrs)
Friday, December 12, 2008
- 05:34 The moon looks amazing as it sets over the hills here in Redwood City
- 08:54 about to leave for work, but watching my daughter dance around the room as we listen to this tune before I go: ginx.com/-y2J
- 09:31 RT @zmeureanu Runner & Triathlon geeks: check out @runkeeper, super simple & effective iPhone app to map and measure workouts. LOVED IT!
- 09:57 RT @sean505 iPhone copy and paste coming tomorrow -> @pastebud View demo: ginx.com/-VM9
- 10:08 heh, I know where I am in this list of people to unfollow: ginx.com/-pSc guilty as charged (thanks for staying with me anyway)
- 10:19 @BenBins include CF twitter name on signage for easy cell-phone followings. Have CF followers re-tweet links to sign-up pages, etc.
- 10:41 Want to join a natl movement to implement real change in our nation's food, agri and enviro policies? See FB group: ginx.com/-1xx
- 14:20 RT @lancearmstrong Anti-doping control. 9th one. [me: insane he has to do this, but he has to do this]
- 14:26 Nice article on using social network analysis to field a winning soccer team at UMaryland: ginx.com/-YC3
- 14:51 @Elite_Racing my favorite time of day to run is pre-dawn to dawn, watching a beautiful sunrise and getting it done early!
- 16:13 several times today have been reminded why I do so enjoy my coworkers and love the place I work
- 17:41 dear Google Reader team: I'm having a hard time using your product because my eyeballs fry from your new stark white background. Tint pls?
- 20:44 @LizMair thanks for the trifle recipe! #lizstrifle
- 20:48 Christmas tree is up, and the girls are beside themselves with xmas spirit (bedtime was bit of a hassle). Reminder: who's making a list? zzz
Thursday, December 11, 2008
- 08:50 disturbed to learn a suspicious loiterer pilfered a lot of folks' stuff (backpacks, $$) while we were doing our track workout last night
- 11:00 Successfully completed my registration for the Wildflower Olympic Triathlon on May 3. I'm in!
- 11:06 RT @EllnMllr check out @mlsif live blogging from #internetpolitics ginx.com/-Dih
- 11:13 Looking forward to delivery of my copy of latest CD from The West End (band of @bradrourke). Get your own copy here: ginx.com/-b1r
- 11:51 WTF is the world coming to? RT @ktvu Man Allegedly Stomps Young Girl's Kitten To Death ginx.com/-DVF
- 12:07 off to lunch with a relatively new colleague. Looking forward to catching up with him!
- 13:38 Great lunch with Kevin at New Kapadokia in Redwood City (ginx.com/-RXm) I highly recommend the Sarma Beyti Kebab.
- 13:57 @IdentityWoman you can get close with streaming CBS Internet Radio: ginx.com/-xc1
- 14:44 RT @acarvin Day to Day blogged their cancellation as well. ginx.com/-dpM [me: surprised at the "good riddance" blog comments]
- 15:39 Wrapping my head around the fact there are 10 biz days left in 2008 (we're closed xmas to new years), and I'm traveling 3 of them
- 16:49 seems there are hiccups between Twitter and Facebook status update again (sigh)
- 16:57 RT @BeverlyMacy Please RT: How have you used Twitter in 2008? Poll at Teaching Social Media at UCLA ginx.com/-qdc
- 17:26 I'm none too pleased with the makeover of Google Reader colorscheme. too much white: Reminds me of an over-exposed photograph. Can I change?
- 17:28 Great to see the partnership between boingboing.TV and WITNESS to commemorate 60 yr anniv of UNUDHR : ginx.com/-rIb
- 18:10 punting on dinner: picking up pizza for the kids (and me).
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
- 08:44 surprised to have to track down the ice scraper to clear up the windshield this morning.
- 10:57 just got tonight's track workout details. looks fun, but feeling so-so (cold? allergies?). debating whether to workout or rest.
- 12:21 DirecTV rant (1/2): 4hr service window missed completely, cust svc rep unapologetic, sez: send snail mail to DTV President. send what?
- 12:21 DirecTV rant (2/2) cust svc rep signoff: scripted "Have I answered your questions today" not same as "Have I helped you." (no, you didn't)
- 12:23 back to better other things: recently started following @lancearmstrong and inspired by his workouts (ride bike home from airport? sure!)
- 13:57 @davetaylor don't forget "twitterstream"
- 14:14 @BenBins great to see you tweet again!
- 14:42 RT @neddotcom protecting your brand online? see ginx.com/-YPr
- 15:11 proud of my daughter's scoring so high on her speech assessment test today. hooray!
- 15:15 @caliseastar WTG! if you're serious re: triathlons, join the Silicon Valley Tri Club ginx.com/-oq7 or come to the open house 2/2/09
- 16:18 immensely enjoying Lessig's rant against bailout "kapitalism" ginx.com/-8Ql
- 16:28 great timelapse video of a San Francisco sunset (for all you Bay Area emigrants): ginx.com/-uad
- 19:36 decided to do the track workout with the tri club after all. Glad I did!
- 23:08 @lpetrides thanks for the tip on Team-in-Training for WF olympic tri, I'm more interested in one for the Vineman 70.3 (but don't see one)
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
- 08:51 RT @stevenewcomb Checking out DonorsChoose.org - pretty cool non-profit for education
- 08:52 @astrout download "Mirrorball" by Elbow ... you'll like it!
- 09:06 looking at my first ATT/iPhone monthly bill and can't help but feel I'm getting overcharged somewhere in all this bill detail dreck
- 09:26 RT @timoreilly Congrats @moia on joining Dopplr as CEO: tinyurl.com/58lc27 Your brainchild grown up enough to bring you on full time!
- 09:34 RT @EndTheRoboCalls ... Don't forget to vote today for StopPoliticalCalls.org in Mashable's OWA's ! -> tinyurl.com/62eg5w
- 11:28 Bummed I missed the latest shipment of Wii Fit available on Amazon (at MSRP, not at markup).
- 11:35 thanks to @astrout, another reminder why I heart Twitter: give a little, get back a lot: snurl.com/7nw6g [blog_stroutmeister_com]
- 11:37 RT @ccseab @astrout Band of Horses' song "Is There A Ghost"...you're welcome :) [me: right on! I owe @neddotcom for my intro to this group]
- 13:04 wow, F-18 crashes into neighborhood on approach to Miramar Air Station, a few streets from where I lived while attending UC San Diego
- 13:15 @gwachob agreed it was just a matter of time before a jet came down by UCSD. hoping all potentially harmed were as lucky as it first seems
- 13:17 googlemaps link to the F-18 crash site (see how close to UCSD campus?) ginx.com/-FOm
- 13:28 RT @Mediabistro Great read: Flickr Ban Raises Question of What's Commerce, What's Not is.gd/aHmv
- 13:51 @lpetrides looks like we may be doing the WF Olympic tri together! (I still need to reg, tho)
- 14:23 sweet! followed by @bandofhorses after tweeting how much I like them to someone today. I loves the Twitter for stuff like this.
- 17:35 @sharakarasic bon chance!
Monday, December 08, 2008
- 08:32 delightful that the kids slept in late. if only the same thing could be said for the puppy. hoping for a nap this afternoon.
- 08:34 @lpetrides what's going to be your first half marathon? local race? or destination race? (are you doing Vineman 70.3, too?)
- 12:14 Logged another chapter in my long saga with DirecTV support. if only the HD-DVR just worked instead of needing to be troubleshot and coddled
- 22:22 quite pleased with the outcome of the Amazing Race (no spoilers for all you TiVo folks). I guess Toni and Dallas were stuck in Russia?
Sunday, December 07, 2008
- 10:03 @nmw I think we all know suspect URLs in a profile when we see them (just as we can spot SPAM in our inboxes pretty quickly)
- 10:16 kickin' it with the kids and the puppy today. holiday party season gets into full swing tonight!
- 10:28 Should you run a marathon as preparation for doing an Ironman? Joel Friel's answer surprised me, too, but makes sense snurl.com/7fqp0
- 17:58 Watching the holiday fireworks over Redwood City. Nice
Saturday, December 06, 2008
- 01:21 enough playing around on blip tonight. time for bed... see you in the morning!
- 09:22 holy smokes... @algore tweets for the 7th time
- 09:43 @hjstrout are you looking for things like gather.com's radio promos on Marketplace or Angie's List sponsorships on NPR? or other efforts?
- 09:50 @hjstrout like Nike's promotion of the NikePlus runners' community via Human Race 10K et al? nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/
- 09:58 @hjstrout here's a cool seesmic video where @loiclemeur interviews Michael Tchao (head of Nike+) re the commty thang snurl.com/7aouq
- 10:00 welcome @mattconahan to Twitter!
- 10:05 note to self: recalibrate the Nike+ iPod at the track this weekend
- 10:16 @hjstrout you're very welcome. glad I could help
- 10:16 @laureltouby break a leg!
- 13:51 retry: just got followed by @nikestore and it looks like they're new to Twitter. nice discount codes in their (few) tweets so far tho
- 14:59 @digiphile do you also cull (read: block) your followers to get rid of the obvious spam accounts? not that I'm asking to be blocked :)
- 16:16 @digiphile if I get new follower w suspect URL in profile, following>50x followers & few tweets, I block even tho keeps my -ers count ...
- 16:18 @digiphile imho, keeping those kind of bogus followers artificially inflates the followers count and reflects poorly on one's rep. ymmv
- 16:49 how did the weekend get here so quickly? (not complaining, just surprised to see it hanging around outside the door waiting for me)
Friday, December 05, 2008
- 10:08 an hour-long meeting was canceled at the last minute. Using the found time to finish unpacking the desk.
- 10:27 @billjohnston are you talking about yammer or yammr? (which product?)
- 10:37 Slide 3 (of 9) is a great illustration of where the power lies in the three structures (list, commty, network) tinyurl.com/6hngma
- 11:08 any other last-minute shoppers out there? A great list of "last-possible-moment" deadlines here: www.dealhack.com/deadlines.php
- 11:55 just rediscovered an unopened balsa wood airplane kit from Preview Travel (remember them? now Travelocity). Toss it or eBay it?
- 12:06 drives me up the %#$!! wall we don't get all the Sharks hockey games on the local channel. Instead, we must watch the Warriors suck on TV
- 13:31 Great post on Mashable on how to get the most out of Google Maps: tinyurl.com/5l9zmc
- 14:41 professional pix from Silicon Valley Turkey Trot posted today. reminded how unphotogenic I am heading to the finish line (think: the undead)
- 14:57 sweet! our urbanchickens.net recognized by KPIX (CBS affiliate) in list of Bay Area Niche Blogs: snurl.com/76k25
- 15:36 @motherpucker 2 things: 1) awesome twittername, and 2) you rock for the tip on free streaming NHL games tinyurl.com/6af5kb
- 15:37 @locoups I'm uncharacteristically heads-down thru the end of the year. what's on your schedule of talks/workshops/seminars?
- 15:40 RT @locoups I was actually PISSED when they renamed National Airport to Reagan years ago. Was my "home' airport (me: DITTO!)
- 16:03 Cool! get your gmail stickers while supplies last: tinyurl.com/5cgnjc
- 17:38 wish us luck in tonight's SCVDA darts playoff match... we're the #4 seed going up #1 (in other words, we'll need all the luck we can get)
- 23:28 so, we didn't make it thru this round of the dart playoffs. I take consolation that we were up against one of the top 5 players in the USA
- 23:40 how 'bout them Sharks tonight, eh?
- 01:21 enough playing around on blip tonight. time for bed... see you in the morning!
- 09:22 holy smokes... @algore tweets for the 7th time
- 09:43 @hjstrout are you looking for things like gather.com's radio promos on Marketplace or Angie's List sponsorships on NPR? or other efforts?
Monday, December 01, 2008
- 17:27 Would like to find the kind person who taught my 4yo to say "why not?!" so I can properly thank them over & over & over
- 19:35 sweet, @FLWbooks is now on Twitter (you can see my urban chickens list of books here: snurl.com/6z9qq )
- 19:38 oh, and @nlw and @locoups we got ourselves a goldendoodle. Hhis name is Kairos and his pix are in my Flickr stream: snurl.com/6z9ux
- 21:42 bummed that Toni and Dallas didn't make the final three in Amazing Race
- 22:42 @identitywoman what's the paper you downloaded?
- 22:54 @identitywoman cool, I'll check it out!
- 23:33 RT @lpetrides jaw-dropping news: change.gov now has a creative commons license, change.gov/about/copyright_policy
- 08:00 I forgot how tiring it is to have a puppy what with the multiple middle-of-the-night potty breaks outside
Thursday, November 27, 2008
- 07:56 Tutkey is in the brine. Off to run the 10k trot
- 08:24 Race starts at 9am. Hoping to finish in under 50 minutes. Wish me luck!
- 10:15 Finished in 51:55. 20 min faster than 2007. Lots of traffic on the course (5k walkers).
- 12:00 thankful to have so many well-wishers after today's 10K. Looking forward to cooking a big meal to replace those 1000 calories burned
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
- 09:34 taking the week off from work to get maximum puppy time, with a few end-of-race-season appointments sprinkled throughout. ahhhh
- 12:54 good checkup with the doc: Pulse:43, BP:92/64, bmi:24. my gift? two shots (tdap and flu). If I could whinny, you'd know how healthy I was.
- 13:51 getting ready to head out to the Bike Connection in Palo Alto to get my bike professionally fitted to me: no more equipment excuses :)
- 17:51 great bike fitting session by Mike at Bike Connection. Dialed in on the bike, and got pointers on my own form, too. it's a much better feel
- 01:23 finally done putting all the pieces of the book together. sent off for proof-reading. fingers crossed I nailed it.
Monday, November 24, 2008
- 13:27 it's a playing-with-a-new-puppy kind of Sunday :-)
- 13:42 @garyconn in short: yes (see my urbanchickens.net as an example). I tried answering on your site, but seems it didn't go thru.
- 13:44 nothing's better than having a sleeping puppy as a foot warmer
- 17:04 if you thought you could get a jumpstart on t-day groceries by shopping today: think again!
- 19:42 finishing up our home-cooked chicken tikka masala. Not bad if I say so myself. Pretty darn tasty
- 21:37 @lpetrides I"m still following you. my heart goes out to you re: Carl's passing
- 22:59 time to call it a night after the puppy goes outside one more time
Sunday, November 23, 2008
- 11:36 Just spent our last morning sans pooch. We're about to head out to pick up the puppy from Modesto (it's a two hour drive to get there).
- 14:30 just filled up with $1.99/gal gas. Wow
- 20:03 watching the Sharks beat up on the Caps. 2 goals on 3 shots in 1st period
Saturday, November 22, 2008
- 01:31 tourney is over. Congrats to Ron and Jo-Ann for winning. Now to go home and sleep!
- 02:42 hoping I haven't crossed the no-sleep threshold. don't know when I'll be able to make it up if I can't sleep tonight. sweet dreams I hope?
- 09:24 someone brought malasadas to work today. I broke down and ate one. Was yummy, but now I feel like I need to go run 5 miles.
- 11:12 it's a crunch day: all kinds of data and presos are due to me by noon so I can start assembling them into a big book. fingers crossed
- 11:46 @lpetrides yes, set up the acct @tkfood and dm my food intake when I eat it to capture for the record. srsly considering wildflower, yes!
- 14:37 sweet! I won $7.01 in Predictify's 2008 Election Showdown. Glad I could contribute to the wisdom of the crowds with my picks :)
- 15:08 in the throes of data imports and doc merges. I can see daylight ahead, tho
- 15:37 Is it too much to ask Word to merge a spreadsheet of 17 rows by 98 columns into a layout? evidently, yes. Having to batch 5 rows at a time
- 16:22 @casefoundation welcome to Twitter!
- 18:03 so I've got the "mountains" theme in my Gmail and I just noticed that there's a new mountain in my background today. cool!
- 20:09 hooray, the first draft of the big-ass merged book is done, all 140 pages PDFd. Now to go home and have a brew.
- 20:12 @jackodog congrats on the first egg!
- 21:17 eating leftover green curry chicken trying to decide between online poker and catching up on the DVR list. must disengage brain
- 00:07 counting down the days (4) to my Locks of Love donation. Shampoo usage and shower time should decrease dramatically.
Friday, November 21, 2008
- 08:13 it gives me the willies: this quadraped robot is square in the Uncanny Valley: tinyurl.com/zvc4f
- 10:26 thankful for blip.fm and my Shure e4c headphones to block out the noise of cube de- and re-construction around me. Only 1 more day of this
- 10:54 @VickiMoore curious, what would make the presentation better?
- 11:07 sweet, I just got my gmail themes turned on!
- 11:11 @vickimoore ugh, hope you don't have to suffer his insecurities much longer
- 11:48 @NurtureGirl imo, people being broke but hoping they can work it out as a group brings them together
- 11:52 RT @StephanieMcA Good work: how pro bono strategic planning does/doesn't work in nonprofits tinyurl.com/6h7yyb
- 13:03 Prepping to see a nutritionist (part of my triathlon training): setting up a new Twitter acct to DM my food intake to capture what and when
- 16:10 @ellnmllr ouch
- 16:23 Looking forward to tonight's Steve Sutton Memorial Dart tournament. He ran the SCVDA for many years, is good to honor him at last
- 22:00 dart tourney going well. 60 players turned out. Winners take home $350
- 23:39 down to the money round in the dart tourney. Still at least 90 min of playing left
Thursday, November 20, 2008
- 08:29 sitting in the jury holding tank awaiting instructions
- 08:55 thank goodness the jury clerk has a sense of humor. Otherwise it would be a long morning.
- 09:54 Thankful the San Mateo Co. Courthouse Jury waiting room is wifi enabled and the staff have good customer service skills, too.
- 11:21 the prospective jurors are getting restless. Three hours in the holding tank & people are starting to get on each other's nerves. oh joy
- 11:55 reading my Triathlete's Training Bible on the jury waiting room. Suggests 500-700 training hours for Vineman 70.3 in July. Eesh
- 15:16 wifi network keeps going down in the jury holding tank. No cell reception so access to web is fleeting
- 15:51 RT @alienvenom BREAKING NEWS: California Supreme Court Will Hear Prop 8 Challenge! Sign the pledge: tr.im/RepealProp8 #RepealProp8
- 16:17 I can't WAIT to change the theme of my Gmail mailbox: tinyurl.com/6gvgfn
- 16:56 I'm free of jury duty for the next 12 months. Rejoice!
- 18:32 taking my eldest out to dinner to celebrate her stellar report card. So proud
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
- 08:59 debating whether to join the triathlon club's run workout tonight or just do some miles on my own
- 13:00 debate over: going to do the track work out with Silicon Valley Tri Club tonight. & signed up for the 10K Silicon Valley Turkey Trot, too!
- 13:26 @jsb we're using a LinkedIn group as a post-meeting keep-in-touch group to further discuss content learned at the meeting & share resources
- 14:48 Oh swell: Zimbra desktop regurgitating 3 error messages/minute re: a calendar item gone bad. Msg count currently at 768. no ETA on fix.
- 16:51 RT @Rumford Twitter Consumer Survey. Let your voice be heard! Need your input. please retweet tinyurl.com/6xrs86
- 19:40 really glad I worked out with the Tri club. Gonna feel it in the morning!
- 21:47 kicking it on the couch with a cold beer, mellow tunes via blip.fm and an open blog post window in front of me. now, what to write?
- 21:49 @rumford way to go! don't let up :)
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
- 06:46 Only Monday, but I'm already formulating excuses why I shouldn't be seated on a jury this Wednesday. What's your best advice for dismissal?
- 09:14 Dear CIO Insight: You lost any credibility you were seeking in "10 Insightful Web 2.0 Books" via your choice of UX: snurl.com/5pvd3
- 12:51 rumors of our dart team missing the playoffs were greatly exaggerated. we're in!
- 12:58 RT @leelefever just launched the Common Craft Explainer Network, a resource for finding custom video producers. More info: is.gd/7SwR
- 14:10 RT @beautifulthangs Are you a Social Citizen? Take the quiz & find out (& maybe win some sweet gear) tinyurl.com/6bemg6
- 17:20 @evablue and I'm following you, too!
- 17:34 looking forward to the poker game tonight. more for the company than the cards, but if I win I won't complain
- 18:20 After two years of silly ignorance, I finally ate my first feijoa fresh from the bush in our backyard: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feijoa
Monday, November 17, 2008
You can tour (via images trapped in a crappy slideshow) the ten Web 2.0 books CIO Insight has pulled together, or you can peruse the list here.
Take yer pick of format starting with this one (titles linked to their Amazon page):
Here's hoping you get smarter from them all, too!
Take yer pick of format starting with this one (titles linked to their Amazon page):
- Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies
by Charlene Li and Josh Bernoff
- Naked Conversations: How Blogs are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers
by Robert Scoble and Shel Israel
- We the Media: Grassroots Journalism By the People, For the People
by Dan Gillmor
- Web 2.0: A Strategy Guide: Business thinking and strategies behind successful Web 2.0 implementations.
by Amy Shuen
- An Army of Davids: How Markets and Technology Empower Ordinary People to Beat Big Media, Big Government, and Other Goliaths
by Glenn Reynolds
- The Wealth of Networks: How Social Production Transforms Markets and Freedom
by Yochai Benkler
- The Corporate Blogging Book: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know to Get It Right
by Debbie Well
- The Cluetrain Manifesto: The End of Business as Usual
by Cristopher Locke, Rick Levine, Doc Searls and David Weinberger
- Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations
by Clay Shirky
- The Revolution Will Not Be Televised: Democracy, the Internet, and the Overthrow of Everything
by Joe Trippi
Here's hoping you get smarter from them all, too!
Sunday, November 16, 2008
- 09:19 off to donate blood this morning (shortage of O, B, B-, AB-). taking the eldest with me to watch. Come join us at Stanford Blood Center?
- 11:03 bummer. Bad needle stick and the donation had to be halted halfway thru. Can donate again in January.
- 18:10 making green curry chicken for dinner. Fun to play with thai spices :-)
Saturday, November 15, 2008
- 07:22 none too pleased that the sync between my iPhone and Zimbra has wiped out all photos in the phone contacts. must find out how to restore
- 07:30 @glennstrachan you and your aunt are in our hearts today
- 11:21 @dcallejon nice to see you evangelize the Twitter!
- 11:30 Disappointed we missed the playoffs this dart season. The team we needed to win didn't. Serves us right for not controlling our own destiny
- 12:02 My Pilots have arrived. Off to get the new tires put on the car. I heart the grippy bits.
- 14:48 the joys of listening to a mouth-breather re-configure cubes in the row across from me. Putting on headphones now.
- 15:34 surprised (not really) that the NHL all-star balloting doesn't include any kind of FB app. And we wonder why there are so few fans
- 17:21 new rubber on the car. Feels so good, but gotta remember these first miles are going to be a little bit slipperdy :)
- 19:05 rating sushi with the fan at Suisha House. Yummy
- 20:33 Now hear this: blip.fm/profile/nuegito/blip/1268798
- 20:44 per wsj.com, Costco sold 75 million bottles of wine in the fiscal year ended 8/31. (that's US$1.1B of wine)
Friday, November 14, 2008
- 05:12 up early, waiting for the sun to rise in the Bay Area before heading out on a short run
- 11:09 stealing myself for another customer support call to AT&T to try to straighten out the iPhone billing setup (again).
- 11:09 heh. make that "steeling myself"
- 13:07 my "let's have a late-lunch meeting" is running late. another 10 minutes, and I'll have to eat on my own.
- 16:29 Am booked Sunday afternoon to be filmed as part of a short on urban chicken owners in the Bay Area. what fun!
- 21:03 great watching the Sharks beat up on the Flames with 20 min of hockey to go
- 22:03 a very satisfying 6-1 Sharks win tonight. We're back on track.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
- 09:58 We got our puppy pickup appointment time. Nov 22 at 3pm. I'm almost as excited as the kids are!
- 11:01 shared a moment with my youngest at breakfast today as together we sang along to Johnny Cash's version of "you are my sunshine." good times
- 14:26 @billjohnston heh, you said "twitscount"
- 19:52 At the 2008 Tech Awards listening to Muhammad Yunus accept his Humanitarian of the Year award.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
- 08:28 Visions of process flows in my head. gotta sketch them on a napkin now and download OmniGraffle to digitize later.
- 10:06 @identitywoman congrats on overdue Fast Company props as a most influential woman in Web 2.0! snurl.com/5brij [www_fastcompany_com]
- 16:56 first meeting of the new team here at work: wow, am I jazzed at what we're going to accomplish together
- 18:29 hanging with the shorties at home while the better half goes to the Sharks game tonight. A fair trade, right?
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
- 07:52 Today's my first day using Zimbra for email/calendar/contacts. Ugh, what a productivity drain trying to remap to a new system
- 11:01 due to BlackBerry/NotifyLink/MeetingMaker bugs, I went 3 months without PDA access to my calendar. Today: all is on my iPhone. rejoice!
- 15:29 over lunch, ordered a set of Michelin Pilots for the car. pricey little habit this driving thing is
- 16:51 looking forward to tonight's Silicon Valley Tri Club mtg. Last club meeting of 2008. I hope to begin building the 2009 race calendar soon
- 18:01 Candlelight vigil for No on Prop 8 at major intersection in Redwood City lots of honkimg in support
Monday, November 10, 2008
- 09:48 the girls are busy marking up the toy catalogs with everything they want for Xmas. Don't think there's an unmarked page in there.
- 14:23 it's a yard work kinda day to do some cleaning up before the rain sets in for the winter season here in the Bay Area.
- 16:18 in a cooking mood: making braised hoisin beer short ribs with smashed Yukon potatoes. Yum!
- 21:45 dinner was yummy, still tired from the race so don't think I'll be long for staying awake tonight.
Sunday, November 09, 2008
- 05:39 race morning. Eating a light breakfast and doing one last gear check. My wave starts in 2 hrs. Thanks all for the well wishes
- 12:34 SF triathlon is over. Finished in just under 3:12. Not bad for my first Olympic distance tri. Now to recover
- 15:53 @sanjspatel hardest part of the triathlon is the mass start of the swim (imho). if you can survive that, the rest is relatively easy :)
- 17:20 My race report for today's SF Triathlon at Treasure Island is at snurl.com/58tp8 (warning: it's a long one)
Saturday, November 08, 2008
- 08:44 24 hours from now, I'll be on the bike leg of the SF Triathlon at Treasure Island. getting that pre-race nervous/anxious/giddy feeling
- 09:18 RT @Pistachio BusinessWeek on "building a better Twitter" twurl.nl/uvwhb1 (my two cents: blip.fm rocks but is a real time stealer)
- 14:14 exporting and formatting data and setting up a series of document merges. fingers crossed the streams combine well to make something pretty.
- 20:23 race packet picked up (I'm bib 313) car tire changed (thanks Thom) now to eat, pack & sleep
Friday, November 07, 2008
- 08:30 Mercury News reports 49.8% of registered voters in SF County voted this year = lowest in Bay Area (55% in San Mateo Co.) thus went Prop 8?
- 09:24 paying $2.89/gal for gas right now. Just 5 months ago I paid $4.89/gal. What a price drop!
- 10:50 seeing lots of attention on goldendoodles as the potential First Puppy. Highly recommend the pick. Our doodle comes home with us on Nov 22!
- 11:56 @themaclady on FB got a link to this post as possible explanation of why Prop 8 passed www.dailykos.com/story/2008/11/5/11240/7443
- 14:30 packing up my desk to move upstairs tomorrow first thing tomorrow morning. Same great job, new great perspective on the office layout!
- 17:27 went to login to Predictify.com (where I've got a cash balance for past correct predictions) and am getting someone else's profile. doh
- 17:38 My Urbanchickens.net blog got its 50,000th page view earlier today. Happy to inhabit this niche and it pays for the chicken feed via the ads
- 22:26 @rumford congrats on the progress! I went from 222 to 182 (I'm 6'2") so can appreciate the effort
- 22:42 @rumford took me 10 months by training for triathlons and now I'm hooked and don't plan on chubbing up again
Thursday, November 06, 2008
- 07:41 riding the packed Caltrain to SF. Folks look hungover but happy. Now the hard work begins
- 14:56 back in the office after a couple days of inspiration at #dreamforce great to see so much joy at Obama's win. And much disgust at Prop 8 win
- 15:46 The SF Tri at Treasure Island is just 2.5 days away. Tonight I do one short run and then it's all rest up until the race begins Sat morning
- 17:28 rumor has it the puppy Barack promised to get his daughters for the White House is going to be a pitbull with lipstick ;^)
- 23:40 inspired to see on TV people marching thru the streets in LA tonight against the passage of Prop 8. Has been going on for 3 hours already?
Wednesday, November 05, 2008
- 07:11 Today's the day! After you've voted, make sure you're part of the FB voter counter (and join this group too: tinyurl.com/6qh2bv)
- 07:15 @kaparkins hooray! you did it! (feel better soon)
- 08:54 @dtennant spend the rest of your day making sure everyone else you know votes, too!
- 09:52 great to see so many I Voted stickers on people of all sizes, ages and races here in SF today
- 14:17 minding the company image? the "hero customers" on stage waiting to speak about force.com workflow app sure don't look happy #dreamforce
- 14:49 fivethirtyeight.com sez: if Obama wins VA and is a close race in IN, can conclude with almost literal 100% certainty Obama will win election
- 15:47 Larry Brilliant: Corporations are beginning to understand philanthropy is not a 1-time project, it's got to be an ongoing effort #dreamforce
- 15:50 L Brilliant: Google copied Salesforce's philanthropic model (1/1/1) for Google.org (see sharethemodel.org to steal it yourself) #dreamforce
- 15:52 Brilliant: 9 times out of 10, having ideas, flexibility and entrepreneurship beats having money to solve problems #dreamforce
- 16:03 recharging my iPhone so I can follow the Twitterstream tonight while I'm at the Sharks game with a good friend from the college years
- 16:05 Larry Brilliant talking of megatrends and the case for pessimism and the case for optimism going forward. #dreamforce
- 16:06 Brilliant shows pic of actual piece of paper documenting end of smallpox and of girl who had last case. it's over. we did it #dreamforce
- 16:08 Brilliant hopes next year we open the paper and see headline "Polio eradicated" and year after that Guinea worm gone #dreamforce
- 16:10 Brilliant calls out the Omidyar Network (among others) as example of new philanthropy that will change the world w biz approach #dreamforce
- 16:11 Brilliant says new philanthropists want to solve things now while alive, not start a Fdn at end of life to carry on their name #dreamforce
- 16:13 Brilliant says we have two elections we must make today: elect to be optimistic. elect to do service to your fellow man. do it #dreamforce
- 16:15 standing ovation for Larry Brilliant at #dreamforce You can feel the optimism in the room no matter who wins the election tonight
- 18:06 Even at this point of the vote, I feel like my generation finally showed up to vote and we're kicking off a new era in US elections. At last
Tuesday, November 04, 2008
- 06:02 up early (thanks, time change!) and getting stuff done before heading to SF for #dreamforce
- 10:36 exciting to see force.com sites and the integration of force.com and Facebook. The recruiting possibilities are huge
- 11:57 got a glimpse of Neil Young's LincVolt project transforming old tech into new tech. power a house with a car? yup lincvolt.force.com/
- 12:00 gotta say, not too thrilled that ATT data coverage inside Moscone center isn't that great. esp in keynote hall. keeps the live-tweeting down
- 12:06 @scottmoore thanks for the warning. will make sure to look for coverage in all corners.
- 12:17 Rem Hoffman: there are so many nonprofits using personal productivity tools (Excel, Word, et al) to run enterprise operations #dreamforce
- 13:45 RT @acarvin Just heard that Barack Obama's grandmother died today.
- 14:08 Experts predict as much as 25-33% of voters will vote early this year. Are you among them? join this FB group: tinyurl.com/6qh2bv
- 14:21 every session at #dreamforce begins with a Safe Harbor statement. how 'bout them lawyers?
- 14:32 Facebook now has 120MM users. Added 30MM new users since end of July. It took them 3 years to get their first 30MM. wow
- 15:02 #dreamforce words to wise: people will blame the state of their data on whomever did the integration. Keep track of original data as proof
- 16:14 thrilled to run into Jeremy, former AOL colleague, here at #dreamforce he's doing great stuff as member of the board over at Crucible now.
- 16:22 @pistachio announced today at #dreamforce is the connection between salesforce.com and facebook to bring social graph into enterprise apps
- 16:29 @pistachio nope am at #dreamforce in SF. spooky!
- 16:48 hoping the rain stops before I have to drive over to Oakland tonight (it's for a worthy cause: Ray La Montagne concert at the Paramount) :)
- 17:17 want Obama to win tomorrow? better read this and GOTV: tinyurl.com/6y22qu
- 19:13 date night with my lovely wife. Dinner at MUA & then Ray la Montagne at Paramount Theater in Oakland
Sunday, November 02, 2008
- 07:06 on the way to SF for a swim/run workout. Streets empty and wet.
- 07:58 parking karma in full force. Got a spot right by the Aquatic Park
- 10:43 finally finished the workout. 3/4mi swim and 7mi run. Didn't feel good at all. Crap
- 12:18 wetsuit cleaned. running clothes in the washer. I'm showered and sipping coffee. now to figure out why the wheels fell off in my workout.
- 15:41 I just voted for Obama in #TwitVote -- twitvote.twitmarks.com/
- 16:48 girding myself for Dreamforce conf in the morning. Hope I'm feeling better
- 19:38 how 'bout them sharks?
- 10:26 the rescued cockatiel is going to a new permanent home today. Our eldest is sad, but we remind her our new puppy arrives in three weeks
- 11:28 rocking out to the new KFOG Live from the Archives Vol 15 CD. just picked it up at Peet's in Redwood City.
- 12:01 Thrilled at the rain, less thrilled at seeing one our downspouts is clogged. The honey-do list gets bigger.
- 12:02 @krob krob = supermom
- 12:14 Economist .com has a great 2.5 min video showing how electoral map changed from Jun-Nov plus commentary snurl.com/4wldt
- 13:00 @gwachob let's do that tweetup, and you picked the perfect Peets
- 13:13 the peanut butter in a Reese's cup means it's actually a healthy snack, right? (of course, I'll burn it off during my swim/run tomorrow)
- 14:45 Can't believe Notre Dame just let Pitt score on 4th & 6 from the 10. Tie game with 2:22 to go. Can Irish pull victory from jaws of defeat?
- 15:41 Notre Dame misses the field goal in 4OT. Now it's up to the defense to save the game.
- 15:45 And Pitt beats Notre Dame in 4OT, 36-33. sigh
- 16:00 HASTAC letter of recommendation submitted before the deadline. Hope the AccessAsia project wins the support.
- 16:24 about to go spritz some gas on an open flame. details at 11
- 17:59 It is a whole new world
- 18:16 I'm now on an iPhone :)
- 18:45 it's a weird feeling to have just bricked my blackberry, but change is good. now to remap my life to the iPhone...
- 22:40 the migration to iPhone isn't without its wrinkles. seems the Apple Store folks set me up with two separate Family Talk plans, not one
- 23:24 got my gear all ready by the door for an open water swim in the AM up at SF Aquatic Park and then a run to the Golden Gate Bridge and back
Saturday, November 01, 2008
- 09:45 honoring our IT guru by having half the office dress like him for Halloween (read: wearing solid black outfit). tres chic
- 09:49 some cool twitter holiday icons: >o< 8-# +-( see how: tinyurl.com/5b9fun
- 10:59 Just got wind of #magpie Trying to decide just how quickly I'll unfollow folks who rent out their tweets like this: be-a-magpie.com/
- 11:15 another use case for good web-based translation services: tinyurl.com/5e37xw
- 11:35 as part of my halloween costume, I'm wearing a pair of my old buddy-holly-esque eyeglasses. I forgot they're an old Rx. fashion fail
- 11:42 @kellieparker good idea to pop the lenses out, but my vision will be even worse. think I'll have to jettison the look to save on Advil today
- 16:05 sitting through a Zimbra training. Girding myself for a productivity drop, hope it's momentary and I get better/faster after the switch
- 17:22 gathering work to take home with me. Letter of recommendation to write tonight after the tricking and treating is through
- 22:28 bite size butterfingers are my weakness. they can't be out of the house soon enough!
Friday, October 31, 2008
- 11:11 great to see folks joining the Facebook group "I voted... Did you?" please retweet to spread the word? tinyurl.com/6qh2bv
- 12:51 @astrout thanks for joining the "I voted... Did you?" group on Facebook! tinyurl.com/6qh2bv
Thursday, October 30, 2008
- 08:59 wow. regular gas is $2.99 a gallon. cheapest since Sept 2007 here in Redwood City
- 17:59 watching the wheels fly off a project timeline, but at least I know where they landed :)
- 20:56 hoping my daughter feels better tomorrow. lots of Halloween events to attend, but only if she's well.
- 21:05 Thanks @gwachob for pointing out the Prop 8 money database at bit.ly/3tacJc Glad to see my ZIP code is decidedly against it.
- 21:47 @dougsuerich awesome urban chicken news! thanks for the lead on another post to urbanchickens.net
- 23:13 Just created the "I voted... Did You?" group on FB. If you voted, join it (and spread it) tinyurl.com/6qh2bv
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
- 08:40 having a hard time finding sympathy for those whose "Yes on Prop 8" signs have gone missing. I guess disappeared bigotry is ok by me.
- 09:12 Planning an open water swim in SF Bay this weekend. Looks like it's going to be raining when I do. I hope I don't get too wet ;)
- 09:57 @googleatwork I follow Gmail blog & Google LatLong blog. what could be better? more stories about how others are using the tools creatively
- 10:09 desperate to get my Google Reader under 1000+ unread items. Not to the point of the nuclear "mark all read" option (yet)
- 10:14 @jsb not jealous of your ride. at all. nope. not me.
- 10:37 @neddotcom can't find that discussion you were looking for. so frustrating that the search isn't any better. maybe it was in your pers news?
- 11:04 doing a recap of 2008 to plot the trajectory/budget for 2009. Will also help my new manager and I get on the same page. Ah, business tools
- 12:06 the call I was scheduled to take while driving to SF was canceled. Now I can catch up on my podcasts-in-waiting instead.
- 12:24 Would be great to have the option to see my profile on FB like others do (Friends, Friends of Friends, Limited, etc). maybe I already can?
- 13:04 realizing how badly I want my girls growing up with a black family in the White House as their norm
- 20:46 Sharks are playing great. Penguins goalie is playing out of his mind.
- 21:38 this is some crazy fun Sharks hockey game.
- 21:41 so happy to see Mike Grier score the insurance goal with 6 min to go.
- 21:52 Sharks win!
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
- 08:37 RT @peterkaminski Anchorage Daily News endorses Obama: is.gd/4QuR - it's a good read
- 08:45 @pierre re: your rooster problem, I've got a great recipe for coq a vin
- 09:19 enjoying the traffic into the new LinkedIn group created for folks who attended last week's Online Marketing Forum
- 11:51 getting ready to jump into a brown bag session about Zimbra as a replacement for MS Outlook. Any advice from folks to use it/avoid it?
- 14:03 @khopper I've just gotten into blip.fm and am enjoying the sound quality, the song catalog to pull from and the social bits sprinkled atop
- 14:30 One of the elements we have to take into consideration berfore adopting Zimbra is how likely it is that MS will buy YHOO (& then kill Z)
- 15:06 @alexpoon rediscovering you. hope you're well!
- 16:19 fantastic photo search engine (by color) at labs.ideeinc.com/multicolr/ only thing to make it better? enable it for cooliris display
- 23:15 writing up the rules/logistics to a new format for masters play in the SCVDA Spring 2009 dart season. Change is good!
Monday, October 27, 2008
- 11:30 great workout this morning: 40kmi bike + 5km run. now watching the Cowboys game
- 14:00 uploading my recent workout data to MotionBased, wondering how my marathon friends did in today's Silicon Valley Marathon.
- 14:40 get your bad self a little "men at work" on: blip.fm/profile/itsthomas/blip/942698
- 20:48 I've seen more baseball in the last week than I did all year long prior
- 22:56 got called out as "hey, you're the urban chicken guy!" by someone who lives in the neighborhood and reads my blog (she owns chickens, too)
Sunday, October 26, 2008
- 08:42 morning #2 with a cockatiel in the house. Perched on my shoulder, he's trying to share my bowl of cereal (no thanks). cute, but inconvenient
- 11:31 It's a blip.fm kinda morning. idly wondering if I can teach the cockatiel to sing TMBG's "Birdhouse in Your Soul"
- 11:37 Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream) blip.fm/profile/itsthomas/blip/925461
- 14:38 Zoppe Family circus: great clean fun for the family. glad it's here in Redwood City this weekend.
- 16:24 our youngest is in full-force meltdown. the core's been cracked. Don't know how we'll cool her down. Take a nap? surely you jest.
- 17:17 wishing I had NHL Center Ice (just for the night) to watch Dan Boyle's return to Tampa with the Sharks.
- 18:12 getting ready to make cup cakes with my oldest. yum
Saturday, October 25, 2008
- 07:56 there's a cockatiel in my kitchen. you just never know what's going to happen, eh?
- 12:34 A wee bit troubled that the LinkedIn search function isn't returning people I know, for a fact, are on LinkedIn. (it isn't due to my typos)
- 15:07 digging thru emails now that I'm back from our Online Marketing Forum. will be getting to you shortly if you've been waiting on me.
- 15:43 @ellmllr there's something about the heft of the glass Voss bottle, no? I'm hooked, too (but will refill mine from tap over and over)
- 16:27 submitting the forms to get my nonprofit donations matched (2-to-1) by Omidyar Network. Great perk to working here.
- 17:02 frustrated that a save the date email from a small nonprofit has stuffed said date into an attached PDF. c'mon people, work with me
- 17:30 main intersection in Redwood City crawling with No on Prop 8 folks. so great to see!
- 21:14 haloween carnival at the school was fun, looking forward to taking the girls to the circus tomorrow afternoon, tho. tonight: poker online!
Friday, October 24, 2008
- 07:36 getting my linkedin on this morning
- 07:57 driving next to a brand new Maserati. what a beautiful car and a gorgrous exhaust note
- 09:17 If Yogi Berra surfed the web, he'd say "If you don't know who you need to reach and engage online, you probably won't." (thx @cwolz)
- 10:25 Hmmm it will be useful to create a persona/profile of the typical dart thrower to help us with recruitment/retention for SCVDA
- 22:19 great day at the online marketing forum. lots of good user persona, SEO and conversion to action advice.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
- 08:55 What was once a Mac Address Book migration to Salesforce is now a Zimbra migration to Salesforce. That changes things a bit, no?
- 12:02 appreciating management insights
- 15:59 over $150K spent by RNC to CLOTHE the Palin family. All clothes to be donated to charity post-election... really? snurl.com/4m3b7
- 16:42 Headed to Palo Alto to start the Online Marketing Forum for our portfolio orgs. Months in the planning, finally time to get it started.
- 21:01 great start to the Online Marketing Forum. Can't wait for things to get started at breakfast, but ready to get some rest in the meantime
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
- 08:44 thinking about what to name the puppy...
- 12:12 @crzykty welcome to twitter!
- 17:35 trying to tie things up so as to be able to work from home tonight. these are busy times we live in
- 17:45 @cwolz please say hi to Perla for me
- 18:04 Found a great 5 mile run to take @cwolz around Stanford University in the morning at o-dark thirty.
- 19:08 watching "James and the Giant Peach" with my little girls. They absolutely love the movie (and sing along to the songs, too). so cute
- 21:38 Omidyar Network in the WSJ: online.wsj.com/article/SB122463722341457039.html
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
- 08:43 I voted today. How about you? No excuse to sit on the sidelines this year: the stakes are way too high (no matter which side you're on)
- 09:32 @astrout wow, that's HUGE news! congrats, my friend. You'll do great in the new gig!
- 09:55 @phdaisy thanks for the blip of XTC this morning (blip.fm/profile/phdaisy/blip/830295)
- 18:39 just got another set of pix of our puppy at about 18 days old. eyes are open, but barely. what cuties!
- 19:14 does anyone remember when ice cream came in half gallon containers? now they're all 1.5 quarts
- 23:36 catching up with old friends found on Facebook. Struggling to encapsulate the last 12, 15, 20 years of my life in a few pithy paragraphs.
Monday, October 20, 2008
- 14:56 birthday party with a baker's dozen little kids is mostly over. cake half gone, bouncy house still going strong
- 18:14 Completely drained from keeping up appearances while battling this frickin' cold. Think it's an early bedtime for me tonight. and nyquil
Sunday, October 19, 2008
- 06:54 Ready as I'll ever be for this morning's open water swim in the Bay. Meeting fellow swimmers at SF Aquatic Park in an hour.
- 09:10 got my 1.5 km swim in the Bay. brrrr cold
- 10:13 once my face numbed up about 400m into the swim, was quite enjoyable the rest of the way, seeing SF from water level
- 19:39 Spent the afternoon playing darts, now eating dinner while watching the Sharks play the Flyers. Just doesn't get much better than this.
- 21:38 think I'll be able to stay awake 'til the end of the game. Then it's bedtime to try to shake this cold.
Saturday, October 18, 2008
- 08:36 feeling better this morning, but still feel the cold. Still plan to do an open water swim in SF Bay tomorrow, but no workout today
- 08:59 @gapingvoid what kind of help do you need?
- 09:53 Trying to create/modify templates in Word and it keeps crashing on me. the suck
- 11:16 Got a surprise free pre-pub copy of "Tribes" from @sethgodin so just gave my pre-ordered copy away to a good friend/coworker. pay it forward
- 12:27 @grundy count me in
- 15:13 Go figure: Rejection Fosters Intuition. See tinyurl.com/5ms4z8
- 15:57 wow. Cindy McCain's AGI in 2007: $4.2M see her tax return at www.johnmccain.com/mccainfinancial/
- 15:59 $4.2M AGI and Cindy McCain still got a $954K refund in 2007. lucky her
- 16:15 Plane-Crash Survivor Finishes Ironman Triathlon. This is what keeps me motivated. online.wsj.com/article/SB122401122994433353.html
- 16:52 pausing to dispose of old and irrelevant work papers. Aside from the sneezing, a very cathartic process.
Friday, October 17, 2008
- 08:50 hoping (against hope) I'm not catching the cold going 'round the playgrounds these days. just 3 weeks til my final triathlon of the season
- 14:01 thankful to have such a great teammate working remotely who's happy help me in a pinch
- 14:21 if this is how we treat Joe the Plumber, who the heck is ever going to step forward and ask a direct question again?
- 15:25 strains of past, present and future swirling around my head today... in a good way.
- 16:32 finally got my expense report submitted. no longer hanging over my head, now onto the next task...
- 18:42 whatever was blocking my productivity seems to have cleared and I'm knocking things out one-by-one. Maybe it's the DayQuil helping?
- 21:13 ther's live music in the pub where we're throwing darts. good but too loud for this old man. ear plugs in. ahhh
- 21:19 @krob wha? ;-)
- 22:30 wondering what's so special about today that so many ghosts from my past are reaching out to me to reconnect.
- 22:56 @lpetrides i wish i knew :)
Thursday, October 16, 2008
- 12:32 so much to do, so little time. Gotta be in SF by 2pm. I think I can I think I can I think I can.
- 12:45 Watching the details come together on a Memorial tournament our dart league is planning for next month. So proud of the team's work already.
- 16:49 enjoying the wonderful weather in SF in between meetings.
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
- 07:05 Happy Birthday, Hannah!
- 09:35 @neddotcom thanks for doing such a thorough job live-tweeting the sessions you're attending @socap08
- 12:58 OH walking to lunch "well, it really depends on what the county's extradition budget is..." my "problems" are so put in perspective now
- 16:32 Getting ready to take my six-year-old out to her birthday dinner (I guess I'm no longer sneaking out early now that you all know I'm gone)
- 19:08 birthday dinner was a success (corn dogs for dinner, oreo sundaes for dessert). Now "we're" watching her new Barbie DVD before bed
- 22:29 what a fantastic win by the Sharks tonight. Great to see them win 4 in a row to start the season.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
- 09:23 @tiffanyvonemmel great to connect with you, too. Unfortunately, not at SoCap this week but will make time to come to SF to meet you both
- 11:02 Just got a DUPLICATE copy of a glossy annual report sent from a nonprofit overseas. Such waste! think I'll ever give them money/attn? (no)
- 11:56 Got my advance copy of @sethgodin's Tribes book, and there, on the inside flap of the cover is my picture! w00t! (4 rows down, 10 from left)
- 14:42 popping +936 is a heckuva dead cat bounce, no? still, the cat is dead
- 15:06 going to be moving up to the top floor of our office building in the near future. time to start thinning the vertical AND horizontal files
- 15:44 The Economist's review of Obama's Recovery Plan: "has a last-pack-of-cigarettes-before-I-quit feel to it" My last pack was 10 yrs ago.
- 16:40 looking forward to tonight's Silicon Valley Triathlon Club meeting. Guest speaker to talk about run training, which is the kind I need
- 20:51 good SVTC meeting tonight. inspired to attend the group run training each Tuesday evening. got to get fast!
- 22:16 got the balloon, card and gifts ready for my eldest's birthday tomorrow. She'll be 6. glad I've been able to keep her alive this long :)
Monday, October 13, 2008
Sunday, October 12, 2008
- 07:18 up and at 'em early on a crisp Saturday morning in the Bay Area. leaving shortly for #barcampafrica at Google HQ
- 09:31 #barcampafrica is in full swing here in building 43 at Google. @chep2m is kicking off things with a bit of structure before the chaos begins
- 09:33 Have to say, the large group meeting space we're in here at Google is very well equipped audio/video. (not jealous at all) #barcampafrica
- 09:34 watching a great GoogleEarth tour of the many topographies of Africa (will try to get link for it later). soundtrack rocks #barcampafrica
- 09:40 Shannon Clark guiding us through the BarCamp format and its four principles #barcampafrica
- 09:41 1. whoever comes are right people 2. whatever happens was only thing that could happen 3. when it starts it's the right time. #barcampafrica
- 09:42 4. When it's over, it's over. The Law of Two Feet: you own your experience here today. go where you're interested & engage #barcampafrica
- 09:47 yay! @sharakarasic is up front sharing how to capture the content of the day on the wiki at barcamp.org/barcampafrica #barcampafrica
- 09:49 We're shortening the tag to #bcafrica from #barcampafrica. We'll see how long it takes to make the switch (I'll lead the way, c u there)
- 09:54 Come join in the wiki goodness at barcamp.org/barcampafrica #bcafrica #barcampafrica
- 09:57 Andrew McLaughlin talking about challenges with infrastructure in Africa. OLPCs are example of old school donor aid #bcafrica
- 09:58 OLPCs crowd out the business opportunities. Pay attention to the ecosystem and help them build businesses, not subsidies #bcafrica
- 09:59 idea for OLPC: open source the designs, allow local production, let them create the solution where they live #bcafrica
- 10:04 The kickoff panel is about to start with @jerrymichalski leading it. we're in for a special time #bcafrica
- 10:13 JM: Stress & shortage of resources perk up creativity. Today we'll hear all kinds of innovations. what to emulate? what not to? #bcafrica
- 10:27 Follow the live Twitterstream from #BarCampAfrica at snurl.com/49unf
- 10:32 Know and respect the culture in which you are trying to make a difference #bcafrica
- 10:33 know what the people you want to help actually want and need (may not be our original bright idea) #bcafrica
- 10:33 what is in your heart & mind is much more important than what is in your wallet. but all 3 need be used to make a difference #bcafrica
- 10:34 don't start anything in Africa, commit to be there for long term. too many have started something & then pulled out, dashing hope #bcafrica
- 10:35 To succeed in Africa property rights must be respected, rules of the game need be set up for business #bcafrica
- 10:36 @rachelpayne welcome to twitter! I'm following you #bcafrica
- 10:37 @sharakarasic it takes a village :-) trying not to get lost in wiki-ness (yet)
- 10:40 companies need to rethink biz models to fit the mobile devices and cultural diversity of low-income population #bcafrica
- 10:42 question: where are local projects uploading their needs so we can assist where they're asking us? ONE ANSWER: Globalgiving.com #bcafrica
- 10:44 much conviction in room that to understand how to help in Africa, you've really got to go there and speak with folks on the ground #bcafrica
- 10:46 RT @temi2004: @BarCampAfrica more ideas on development in Africa could be born here today than there have over the last 3 months #bcafrica
- 10:50 words of caution: "desire to help" isn't enough. what's your intent? what, specifically do you want to do? that's how to engage #bcafrica
- 10:56 What's working? example is Project Baobob in Kenya www.projectbaobab.org/ educating young African women to create leaders #bcafrica
- 10:59 is so nice to see the chorus of tweets helping capture the goings-on at BarCamp Africa - a nice rounded picture of the proceedings #bcafrica
- 11:01 RT @neddotcom Once educated locally in Africa, it can be very hard to find a good paying job there #bcafrica
- 11:11 first panel over, now about to create the grid of topics to discuss today. each of us responsible for creating an action item #bcafrica
- 11:37 BarCamp Africa Session leaders: please remember to add your notes to the list of sessions on the wiki snurl.com/49wli #bcafrica
- 12:01 In the breakout session put on by the XPrize Fdn trying to build a $10M prize project re: creating wealth at bottom of pyramid #bcafrica
- 12:02 getting a quick history of the XPrize Foundation origins (check the web site at www.xprize.org/) #bcafrica
- 12:05 All kinds of prize-driven successes: Trans-Altantic flight, chronometer, margerine and X-Prize's space flight prize #bcafrica
- 12:05 XPRize: we're talking about how we change the way people think, exploring what's possible leveraging prize money into innovation #bcafrica
- 12:06 XPrize: 2006: Genome decoding, 2007: moon travel, 2008: Automotive w/ 100mpg car (152 entries in this prize) #bcafrica
- 12:07 XPrize: now want to bring model to global development realm, the 2-3B people who need a little bit of oomph to improve own lives #bcafrica
- 12:09 XPrize: looking at six domains for development: agriculture, public health, IT/wireless, water/sanitation, transportation, and... #bcafrica
- 12:11 XPrize: visualize a specific place in Africa & dream of what it should be like in 50-60 years. Design a prize (goal) to reach it. #bcafrica
- 12:15 XPrize: anyone can win this prize, even someone in this room (of 30 people) or reading this Twitterstream #bcafrica
- 12:16 XPrize: Big challenge is to create a tight set of rules around the competition, aim for a contest that takes 5-8 years to win #bcafrica
- 12:16 XPrize: don't want something that can be solved in 3 years (challenge isn't hard enough), but do want it solve-able #bcafrica
- 12:20 XPrize: 6th domain for development is financial systems. (what's the next microfinance? what's the next economic revolution?) #bcafrica
- 12:23 XPrize: have an idea for this prize for creating wealth at the bottom of the pyramid? email it to pragnya [at] xprize [dot] org #bcafrica
- 12:25 XPrize: crowd idea: Self-powered kitchens (place where food is stored and prepared) where no outside fuel (wood, coal) required #bcafrica
- 12:34 I'm really surprised at how slow the PBwiki for BarCamp Africa is responding to edits (beware: wiki page names are CaseSensitive) #bcafrica
- 12:58 Don't forget to post your #BarCampAfrica notes on the wiki: barcamp.org/BarCampAfricaTopics #bcafrica
- 13:49 watching a kickass demo of Potenco's micro-grid electricity generating tech #bcafrica
- 13:57 thinking of ways that the micr-grid tech can support domestic elec needs (disaster prep, outdoor mtgs, etc) #bcafrica
- 14:20 in the Africa and Emerging Tech panel with @guykawasaki as moderator #bcafrica (Hi @planspark)
- 14:22 watching @guykawasaki ride the panel hard on their quantity of powerpoint slides (caveat to all who follow) #bcafrica
- 14:24 is very instructive watching @guykawasaki help entrepreneurs clarify their products in a way that relate to funders #bcafrica
- 14:27 how are appfrica and Ushahidi funded? (thru revs from coding work and via a grant from Humanity United, respectively) #bcafrica
- 14:33 strong distaste for white folks bringing aid to Africa, burning thru all the $$ driving around $50K trucks using $8/gal for naught #bcafrica
- 14:37 Really encouraged to hear so much self-reported focus and prioritization of the sustainability of projects. #bcafrica
- 14:39 surprised to hear that *default* interface with Google search in Africa is through mobile phones (not thru PC browser) #bcafrica
- 14:43 @neddotcom (Mark) @lpetrides (Lisa) connecting you here in Twitter since the email intro re: rep systems will likely be even more delayed
- 14:46 if you don't own it, you don't maintain it. This applies to situations around the world (in the US and abroad) #bcafrica
- 14:51 Panelist reports whenever he'd give laptops away in Africa on each trip, they were never used (fear of breakage, lack of skills) #bcafrica
- 14:52 seems to be general consensus on panel that the OLPC is another example of best intentions falling flat #bcafrica
- 14:53 a poor person's number one need anywhere in the world is the ability to make more money #bcafrica
- 14:54 Is cheap electric light a viable product (extends the day)? lighting is a money saving device, not a money-making device #bcafrica
- 14:55 biz model for lighting in Africa: give away the lights and sell the charge instead (replaces kerosene costs). think razors/blades #bcafrica
- 14:57 asked of panel by @guykawasaki: Thoughts on Kiva as a model? long pause... 1) "is a social loan", 2) likes model (a la Prosper) #bcafrica
- 14:58 "Who'd have thought Kiva would outlast Lehman brothers?" observed by @guykawasaki #bcafrica
- 15:00 @glennstrachan thanks for the @replies... remember I'm just the messenger of the panel's content here :-) #bcafrica
- 15:02 asked by @Guykawasaki "I want to write a check, but I don't want to fly over to Africa, what do I do?" #bcafrica
- 15:04 invest in local stock market? too abstract. buy an iPhone developer the iPhone he needs for testing #bcafrica
- 15:04 Kiva gives a good platform to start. There are too many folks wanting to do good in Africa, but efforts not coordinated. #bcafrica
- 15:05 If you just want to write a check, go with Kiva. If you actually want to help, engage in Africa #bcafrica
- 15:07 Ideas from crowd: 1) give to an SME fund. 2) Invest in future of Africa (education) 3) to Kenyans for Peace, Truth & Justice #bcafrica
- 15:11 Many folks stand up to say "best place to give $1000? my cause/organization" -- NGOs, BarCamp Ghana, EpicChange Inc, etc #bcafrica
- 15:12 @planspark I wish for such a tool. I use LiveTwitter to reverse-chron my own tweets with links, etc, but it trails a day behind #bcafrica
- 16:44 learning about African culture and dance from Jim Sowers. he should teach this to HS kids. makes african geog accessible themes #bcafrica
- 16:48 Sowers rode a motorcycle from Cape Town to Cairo, DJ-ing the whole way with his 25 CDs of music mixes, burning copies for locals #bcafrica
- 16:54 Sowers: USA isn't a melting pot, it's a salad bowl of ingredients contiguous but not amalgomated together #bcafrica
- 16:55 Sowers: we need a culture-pedia to capture our cultural distinctions to share with all #bcafrica
- 17:19 RT @makriese The Palin was booed LOUDLY when she dropped puck at Flyers' game. tinyurl.com/4oh2nv
- 17:32 Watching the TED video of William Kamkwamba. see it here: snurl.com/4a5m8 #bcafrica
- 17:34 See William Kamkwamba's Malawi Windmill blog here: snurl.com/4a5nw (last updated March 08) #bcafrica
- 17:40 You can see Kamkwamba's Moving Windmills video here: snurl.com/4a5t0 #bcafrica
- 17:50 Meta: great to see #barcampafrica trending high on Twitter search now (#4 after Obama, LSU and redsox) #bcafrica
- 17:52 @glennstrachan dontcha mean "THE Palin"? ;^)
- 17:54 outcome of pumping water in the village instead of girls travelling 2hrs each day to get water? reclaimed time for schooling #bcafrica
- 17:59 @temi2004 take a breather, you've earned it!
- 18:03 raising chickens isn't as hard as one thinks: urbanchickens.net #bcafrica
- 18:05 rec reading: "All Things Must Fight to Live" re: Congo
- 18:13 see africanleadershipacademy.com to see where William's in school now #bcafrica
- 18:58 great to be at BarCampAfrica today. good job @chep2m et all. thanks for tweeting, every1 #bcafrica
- 21:59 @itgirl great to see you, too. let's not let as much time pass before the next time