Wednesday, June 13, 2007

grocery shopping just got easier

Got a promo today introducing me to the new Amazon Grocery Store and I think I've finally found the solution to getting all our regularly used non-perishables that avoids driving to the store.

Since we're an Amazon.com Prime customer, we get all-you-can-eat free second-day shipping on items. Couple that with the fact most of our shopping list items stay on the chalkboard in our kitchen at least two days, and there's no real difference between buying from Amazon.com or going down to the local Safeway.

(I'd looked into buying groceries from Safeway.com, but decided I didn't want to pay the $4.95 delivery fee... call me cheap)

So, now we can get our big bulky items like Diapers or Pet Supplies for the dog or even Gourmet Spices in bulk.

A quick scan shows that prices are quite competitive, and most the brands I'd buy at the local store are carried.

Will give it a whirl and post later how it worked for us. Any other Amazon Grocery Store customers out there?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You might want to investigate if there additional (perhaps hidden?) environmental costs to having Amazon deliver your groceries than doing it the old-fashioned way.

Food for thought.

- Lisa

hvyTK said...

Good point, Lisa. I'm all for the "buy local" point of view (carbon foot print, local economy, etc), yet I found this blog by Richard Conniff over at NYTimes illuminating: Don't Buy Local!

Lisa said...

Sadly, my stubborness to subscribe to Times Select prevents me from accessing the blog.

The latest buzz around local buying where I am is the locavore concept: eat fresh foods grown locally and in season. In other words, don't buy NZ apples in January. The issue is that where I live (Minnesota), being a strict locavore means a rather non-diverse fruit and veggie diet. And my kids love mangoes...