Tuesday, March 13, 2007

flickr photos under creative commons license

After I uploaded my Stockholm pictures to Flickr, a good friend pointed out that (until today) I have not been practicing what I preach regarding content being available for others to build on in the Creative Commons. My own pix were under regular old copyright until just now. At last, I've put my own Flickr photostream out there under a Creative Commons license for others to use as they see fit (with attribution to me, of course). Stortorget buildings

Now, I chose the Attribution license for my own photos, as it allows for others the most creativity possible, as long as they attribute the original photo to me. But there are six different Creative Commons licenses available for employment on Flickr, and the Creative Commons web site has a very useful CC license FAQ that details the difference between each license.

Want to add your own photos to the Creative Commons? Here's how in six easy steps:
  • From any Flickr page, click on your account name to get to your account settings page
  • Scroll down to the Defaults for new uploads section and click "EDIT" next to "What license will your photos have?"
  • Choose your license from the dropdown and click the "Set Default License" button
  • IMPORTANT: once the license is set, you need to click "EDIT" on the "What license will your photos have?" again to change the license on all your existing Flickr photos.
  • Once you're on the license page, choose the "batch" link in the grey box above the dropdown.
  • On the new "set a license default for your photos" page, choose your license and click SAVE.
Voila! Your Flickr stream is now part of the Creative Commons set on Flickr for all the world to get jiggy with!

No comments: