Friday, March 30, 2007

need help getting daily del.icio.us posts on blogger

So, I've been using del.icio.us a lot recently, and it's come at a cost to my posting here on the blog. Via Shrook, my feedreader, I've seen others like Ross Mayfield include their del.icio.us links in their feeds, and I want to do the same.

Much easier said than done.

The del.icio.us folks have provided a handy widget to generate daily blog postings, but in creating the widget, you must know full URL of the XML-RPC interface for your blog. I have yet to find said URL for my Blogger blog. I've checked the Blogger Help Groups and the closest I can get to an answer (LucyG asked the same question) is the unhelpful helpful tip to look here in the Blogger Data API Overview.

A helpful answer would have been "here's the URL just swap out NNNNN for your blogname." But it appears no one's yet cracked the code.

Has anyone seen a successful automatic post from del.icio.us to a Blogger hosted blog? As soon as I find the answer, I'll post it here. Talk about search keyword gold...

4 comments:

Jim Carroll said...

Here's the blogger API,

http://code.google.com/apis/blogger/gdata.html
http://code.google.com/apis/blogger/overview.html

It doesn't look exactly like XML-RPC, but there is an XML posting format.

I hope you get it working... but am I the only one who feels a little funny going through other people's bookmarks on del.icio.us? It reminds me of dating in college and exchanging wallets with a girl, and each getting to know the other by examining everything the other's wallet. When I look through an individual's bookmarks on del.icio.us I feel like I'm shortcutting the usual way of getting to know someone.

Of course it also leads to better conversations on topics they've read lately when I do see them, "I saw on del.icio.us that you downloaded that productivity software... did it help?"

-Jim

hvyTK said...

Thanks for the deep links, Jim. Hopefully I can track down the little snippet of code that lets me post them.

Yes, the bookmarks make for better conversation fodder, but I also know I don't bookmark as much as I would if del.icio.us were private, as I don't want folks triangulating in on my interests with too much precision. On the other hand, if it lets folks know quicker whether they want to contact me (or stay away), all the better.

moonflowerdragon said...

I haven't the faintest idea how to understand jim's advice after your post. I wish I did because I've also been wanting to 'daily' post my del.icio.us links.

I hope you do post the answer if you find it.

hvyTK said...

thanks for the ping, Moonflowerdragon, I still haven't discovered the solution yet, although I recently stumbled on how to find the full URL for the interface... now I just have to remember where I saw it!

Rest assured, when I get it up and running, I'll post all about it in a new post.