Thursday, March 08, 2007

refreshing change of perspective

It's been over two years since I traveled outside the United States, and this trip to Sweden has served as a powerful reminder how refreshing it is to immerse yourself in a different culture.

Even though traveling to Scandinavia is far from the culture shock of a trip to say, South America or Southeast Asia or anywhere in Africa, the culture here is different enough from my daily American experience that I'm reminded just how insular my life is in California.

Among the biggest differences I've noticed:
  • I've yet to see any trash anywhere on any street in Stockholm (I'll keep looking)
  • The Swedes are very style-conscious, but in a sense of personal pride way, not in a "look at me" kind of way
  • The food is portioned perfectly on the plate... no heaping American-style servings spilling over the sides of the table here
  • Tax is included in the price you see on the shelf... no complicated additions at the cash register
  • There's a very strong push to mind how big a footprint one makes on the environment... I can't believe how green the adverts and marketing messages are here in Stockholm. It'll be interesting to see if the Dutch are as green as the Swedes seem to be.
  • Kaffe is king: If only I could fit the industrial-strength coffee-making machine at the GWP offices, there'd be a vacant spot where the machine now stands come tomorrow evening :-)
  • Politeness and courtesy overwhelms me everywhere I go: not in a sickly-sweet manner, but in a "I respect you and expect you to do the same of me" manner.
I've got to figure out how to bring this home with me.

2 comments:

twinga said...

Please do, I already feel homesick reading it. It's similar in Germany: the streets are very clean, everyone acts very 'green', people have a particular way of dressing (although I love the mix and match in San Francisco) and the coffee is just superb wherever you go. Polite? I don't know... but certainly honest :). Greetings from Redwood City (sunshine!!) :)

KrisRobinson said...

BE the change you wish to see in the world!