Tuesday, August 21, 2007

impatient picking = unripe watermelon


unripe watermelon
Originally uploaded by thomas pix
Longtime readers know that we've been growing vegetables in our backyard and on our deck this summer. In the backyard garden we've had corn, pole beans, bell peppers (purple, red, yellow, green), tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash and jalapeƱos growing to much success.

We've even had a couple watermelons sprout up from the vine I planted as almost an after thought. We picked a miniature variety, and when the melons stopped growing and just sat there unchanged, I got anxious and picked one thinking it'd be ripe.

As you can see in the picture, the melon's still unripe. We've still got one melon still on the vine, so I'll be waiting before getting that one. Next season I'd better do some Googling before I pick.

No comments: