Sunday, December 09, 2007

using blackberry 8830 in asia

I'm here in Kuala Lumpur and very happy to see my Verizon Wireless Blackberry 8830 is working like a charm: both voice and data work smoothly via the "my celcom" network in downtown KL.

It also worked just fine at Singapore's Changi Airport in transit here.

I was surprised, however, to find out that the data network does NOT work at the Hong Kong airport. There was a weak voice signal there in the terminal, but absolutely no data stream available for email or web browsing.

Maybe it was a fluke the morning I passed through (Dec 8 at 7am)? I doubt it, though.

In any case, I'll be trying again on Dec 14 when I fly home. Unless I post differently, you've been warned not to expect data on your BB 8830 in the Hong Kong airport.

Don't get me wrong. In all, I'm still pleased with the phone. I'm just surprised at what constitutes a "world edition."

No comments: