Tuesday, July 01, 2008

making friends in Germany

This morning at our hotel (Hotel Albrechtshof in Berlin Mitte), I
went downstairs to enjoy the breakfast buffet by taking a table
outside in the crowded courtyard. I filled my plate with eggs and
wurst and a croissant and headed outside to find a seat.

While most of the tables were occupied with single travelers reading
a paper or couples talking quietly to each other, there was a single
table unoccupied in the far corner. As a bonus, there was already a
newspaper on the table for me to peruse.

I sat down, tucked my napkin in my lap and began to eat my eggs,
happy that I'd scored the last seat outside on such a cool and clear
morning.

Imagine the disappointment on the face of the gentleman approaching
me who'd placed his paper on the table expecting it'd claim it as his
own. I could spot his crestfallen look from across the courtyard and
knew I'd goofed big time.

(under the pressure of the moment, I couldn't even remember how to
say "sorry" in German)

Luckily, he was very friendly and more than happy to share his table
with me.

By the end of breakfast, I knew as much about Berlin and Bonn (where
he's from) as I could have gleaned from reading travel books all
morning long.

Since it was his last day in Berlin, I don't have to worry about
accidentally taking over his table tomorrow... but I might just have
to try it out on someone else to see if I can learn more about Berlin.

No comments: