Thursday, June 12, 2008

how not to update your contact list

We're preparing to do our own contact updating where I work, and I'm thankful to have gotten a great lesson in how not to do it in my email box today.

The well-intentioned email request to update my contact information with a group I'm associated with came in with a good enough subject line: "Contact Information Update." The content of the request is posted below in its entirety, sans the fancy logo and "powered by/unsubscribe" info, and I removed the organization's name so as not to shame them here:
[Well-meaning group] is working to update our contact records. If you have had changes to your contact information within the last year, please take a moment to reply to this email with your updated information.
Not even a "Dear Thomas"!?

The young lady who sent the request may hope I'll help her out, but there's no way this is getting anywhere near the top of my priority list. I have to think back to what might have happened in the last year and then get to thinking about other things and before you know it I've moved on and the moment has passed.

The worst part of this scenario? If I don't reply, she thinks she's got my correct info. A very poorly designed process, and I think I'm being charitable.

I've taken a stab below at how I'd approach the same task so as to make the review/update process as light-touch as possible on the recipient.
Dear Recipient,

[Well-meaning group] is working to update our contact records. This is what we currently have as your contact information:
  • Your Name
  • Your Title
  • Employer Name
  • Physical Address
  • Phone/Fax/Etc
If any of the above is incorrect, please take a brief moment to reply to this email with the correct information information. We really appreciate your help!
As a recipient, I see exactly what you've got on me and know immediately if I have to hit reply. Minimal effort on my part and the lion share of work is on the party who most wants the info: the requestor.

No comments: