Thursday, May 01, 2008

social networking the blood donors


Thanks to a tweet by @howardgr this morning, I was introduced to Takes All Types (TAT), a new nonprofit that's tapping into the broad social network of blood donors.

Now, I'm not sure about their claim that communication is the main issue around the seeming constant blood shortages throughout North America, but I can't argue that tapping into the networking abilities of existing donors isn't a great next move.

I've been donating blood since I was 16 (through good times and bad) and it never ceases to amaze me the bond I feel with fellow donors as we're going through the process together of saving lives one pint at a time.

I've added the TAT app to my own Facebook profile, and signed up to be notified when I can donate again, even though I already know it's June 21, the same day of my next triathlon (I'll donate a couple days later). If nothing else, I can now raise better awareness amongst my network to join me in giving blood as often as we can.

No comments: