Monday, October 02, 2006

unacceptable behavior on a sliding scale

Watching the fallout over Rep. Mark Foley's follies over the weekend, I wonder why I'm not so surprised to find out Foley's checked himself into a rehabilitation program over the weekend, after his sudden resignation from the House.

It would seem there's a bet being placed from someone in his camp that the capital-P Public will be less revulsed by an alcoholic pedaphile than we will a sober predator of young boys.

In a statement released by his attorney, Foley says:

"I strongly believe that I am an alcoholic and have accepted the need for immediate treatment for alcoholism and other behavioral problems... I deeply regret and accept full responsibility for the harm I have caused."

Given Foley's very public stance and authority against the very private behavior that was his own undoing, I wonder if seeking help for his suddenly public alcoholism problem isn't a prelude to a forthcoming "I was drunk at the time and didn't know what I was doing."

Let it be known I'll call bullshit on the so-drunk-I-didn't-know excuse the moment it comes out.

And if folks knew what he was doing for months before ABC news got wind of it, why didn't they urge rehab for his drinking problems earlier if they knew he seemed to get over-friendly with the kids after a few sips?

No comments: