Thursday, October 26, 2006

what are these Treo 650 apps?

For the most part, I really like my Treo 650. Yes, I know there are newer versions out, but I'm not willing to shell out the dough to upgrade what is a perfectly functional PDA/phone/web device.

There are two things that really bother me, though, and I'll try documenting progress toward solving the two:

1) I have a 2005 BMW 325i with the communications option package. What this means is that there's an SOS/breakdown button on my rearview mirror that I can push and via cell technology, I'm connected with the BMW assist folks who'll send an ambulance or a tow truck (or both) depending on my needs at the moment the button is pushed. On my steering wheel, I've got phone controls that allow me to use a bluetooth-enabled phone paired with the car to make phone calls using the car's mic and speaker system.

Enter: Verizon Treo 650. The phone pairs with the car just fine (yay!) but whenever I try to initiate a call, Verizon re-boots the phone (dropping the call) because Verizon has decided not to support this feature. BMW says its a Verizon issue. Verizon says its a Treo issue. Palm says its a Verizon issue. Since folks with Treo 650s on Cingular are able to use their phones with the same model car, I have to think it's a Verizon issue.

Now that the spiffy Treo 700s are out (Windows and Palm versions) there's diddly squat on the Verizon support site on how to workaround the cripple. And BMW shrugs their collective shoulders while pointing out if I'd like to upgrade to the 2006 version of my car, things would work like a charm. right.

Still looking for a solution, and when I find it, I'll post it here. Any tips out there in reader land?

2) Issue number two: my Treo 650 memory seems to fill up awfully quick. I have a 1GB media card to which I save all my photos and videos, but the 25Mb baked into the phone itself gives me fits, especially as I've got these mysterious "application files" that propagate to fill up the space. They're cryptically named s01, s02, s03, etc. and each is about 250Kb or so in size. Fine if there's one or two, but they just keep propagating and crippling the other features (like web browsing) on my phone. I've taken to deleting them (starting with the lowest-numbered file first) and don't seem to notice any difference in my Treo experience, but I don't know how thin the ice is on which I'm skating. I *think* they have to do with Snapper Mail, but can't find anything to support this.

Google searches have come up empty so far, but I'll let you know if I find any info.

No comments: